Quote:
Originally posted by spalding1968:
I dont think that this is a fair comparrison as you are not taking into account all the man hours that you have to put in just to make the open keyboard mirror the ease of use of a closed system each time you upgrade the software. You are also ignoring the resale value of your hardware when you upgrade from one closed keyboard to the next. I think if you were to take into consideration all the factors, the the real cost margins in terms of both time and money would be much much closer and maybe even cheaper under the closed system keyboards.

That's with the understanding that your time is valuable and that tinkering with applications to try and make music is not actually making music (which is what I as a musician prefer to do) Just my opinion folks.

Perfectly put, spalding. Many of us would like to keep the time we have got primarily on actually PLAYING, rather than programming. Learning new tunes, drumming up work, all of these take time. Every minute spent debugging or converting styles to run on non-native soundsets is time away from these things...

And yes, even as long as I keep them, most of my 'upgrade' arranger purchases have cost me very little amortized over the years I've had them due to the care I take of them and their consequent used value. To be honest, most people I know who keep fairly current with their computer systems have spent FAR more than me over the last decade or so upgrading and swapping out computers to keep up to date. And used computer parts and even whole out of date computers have VERY little resale value. A fully working arranger in good working order, if kept in good condition, is still worth a fair percentage of its' original cost... But you can hardly GIVE away a five or six (or ten!) year old computer!