Originally Posted By: Diki
Originally Posted By: DAN.2000
I will not create 1100 sounds and 77 kits.

I will start with ... drums, bass, piano, epiano, sax, brass, flute...
Not tons, but very good quality.

If all drumkits in roland can be swaped, it's a good thing.
That mean that I only have to do one mapping to be Roland style compatible smile

Most of drumkits use the same sounds, but only changes some snare drums, etc...

Thing is Dan, first things first. You make a software arranger, but no styles. Therefore, you are playing Yamaha, Ketron and whatever else styles that it is compatible with. I don't know if you have spent much time on any of the latest arrangers (although they have been WAY past the GM soundset for over ten years), but these styles don't just use ONE piano, or one bass, or one Rhodes, etc. They have dozens of them, as different as chalk and cheese. What works with one style doesn't work for another.

If you think about it, this is like expecting a 50's Latin band to use the exact same instruments as a 90's rock band! Not just a piano, drums, percussion and bass and guitar, but the SAME piano, bass, drums and guitar. But in reality, they wouldn't have one thing in common. Musical instruments in the real world have evolved over the years. In fact even the lowly Rhodes came in several different varieties, all quite different from each other. Guitarists play Strats, Tele's, Gibson's (Les Paul's and 335's) PRS's and a myriad others, none sounding alike.

I kind of shudder at the thought of an arranger with such a limited palette, even if those few sounds are quite excellent. The idea sounds OK, until you think that, that's ALL you are going to have. To cover everything from 20's jazz to 90's smooth rock, to 21st century electronica... It just can't be done. If it could, don't you think the majors would have only 128 sounds, but they all be GREAT?

The styles are going to call up thousands of different sounds, but you are going to try to play them ALL with the same few?

This is what sank the MS. Be careful navigating the same waters...

I think the appropriate point here is that Dan says he will start with a good quality basic set before moving on to increase the number available.

This is the most sensible way to do things as most voices are variations on others, (A piano is still a piano in all variations) and while it will take time to increase the numbers available they will be guaranteed to be of good quality. (Yes it would be nice to have all 1100 sounds and 77 kits done at the same time but no manufacture has ever done this (Hardware or Software) so best to follow the proven track)

BTW although you may have 1100 sounds and 77 kits available, 99% of users will only use about 10% of them, just like they only use about 10% of the styles available.

Let’s face it Diki, you have been asking for the chord sequencer to be returned for over 10 years and only recently have Korg & Roland bought it back, however Dan gave it you in a few weeks, so instead of keep putting obstacles in the way (Just like you did with Dom) work with Dan to make the software the best out there eventually incorporating everything you require. (As I can assure you the Big Boys won’t)

Bill