Originally Posted By: Diki
So, if these Wersi's are so good, why does most of the music I have heard played on them by people OTHER than factory demonstrators sound so bloody awful?

You know, I bet that the vast majority of drivers that bought a Bugatti Veyron aren't capable of driving them safely at the 250mph+ that they are capable of reaching. In fact, check out the googles, and find shot after shot where owners wrote them off at quite modest speeds!

The point being, although it might be POSSIBLE to make great sounding music on a $20k+ Wersi, seems like few actually do... Personally, I think it is the complexity of the VSTi system that is the primary roadblock. It seems, in demo after demo, that users of TOTL all hardware arrangers don't seem to have much problem posting something quite impressive as soon as they get one. Wersi owners?

Crickets chirping.

Diki,

Most arranger players are merely hobbyists, beginners, or just do it for fun. Few people's playing skills, whether they call themselves pro's or not, is stellar and that's reality.

Contrary to what you state, I find few demo's posted by hardware arranger owners of reasonable quality and no better or worse than any open arranger user demo's. With the exception of those done by professional demonstrators which seem to be of high quality in both playing and audio quality. If I were to base my product buying decisions on the majority of end user demos, I'd be hard pressed to ever purchase those products demonstrated.

For me the power and flexibility of an open arranger is what I want and need. While I agree that computer based arranger software utilizing VST's can be a logistical nightmare to setup and operate, that simply isn't the case in a hardware/software based Wersi. Wersi has taken the use of VST's and made it simple to use with the built in VST host. I've stressed this before but you and others don't seem to grasp this concept. If the Wersi were complicated and didn't do what it was intended to do, I'd ditch it much like I did my 9000 Pro and Korg Oasys. If the Wersi were difficult to use, their primary purchasing demographic (the elderly), wouldn't take well to it.

Whether Bill, Bachus, Frank and I are the few who get and understand the power, versatility, and incredible sound quality of a VST capable system, we're ok with that. For you and others who choose to be so myopic, technology will eventually force itself upon you. Whether you like it or not, open based hardware arrangers and workstations are destined to be the norm one day. For now I'm content to be as you call it, a very capable Veyron driver while others are driving their VW's.