Originally Posted By: Diki
Something I've never seen a discussion of, when it comes to VSTi use with an arranger is, how well do they implement the codes that arrangers use to 'bend' or 'snap' old notes to new ones when you play a chord a tiny fraction late...

Let me explain...

If you've ever looked at the MIDI event code of an arranger 'capture', you'll often see a lot of codes that turn on portamento to time=0, then make the original note a tiny, short one and replace it with the correct note, which the original gets bent, or 'snapped' to. In other words, if you are playing a G chord, then ask for a C chord just a TINY fraction of a beat late, on the 'one' of the beat or bar, the notes for that G chord will play, then a few ticks later the notes for the C chord will appear, BUT, there's no re-triggering of the note, so you don't really hear anything much, because it has been portamento'd with a time of zero to the new note, so the envelopes don't retrigger.

Now, those of you using VSTi's with arrangers... how well does it deal with this, or does it ignore all that kind of stuff and stutter around a bit?

There's a lot going on under the hood with arrangers to help it mitigate our less than perfect playing. But when you use VSTi's, do they do the same thing?

I think the code for doing that is build intoo the arranger, and not into the soundsource, playing a style and use a style track to trigger an external vst and you will see it still works as if the vst sound was a native sound.

Tough i know from experience that in for example the media station or live-styler this is a severe problem, which you can blame on the arranger code and not the vsts..

Just wondering how Varranger is handling the problem you described?

http://keyszone.boards.net