woww Dennis, good post...are you sure that you don't have forget some more features? IF I remember well you asked me also to integrate on the OS the Melodyne, Cubase, NI Komplete...all for Free cost of course...

Anyway, I will try to reply your post...

Quote:
Firstly to To The Genesys, your comment about it says more about the user is total twaddle.

I have been using VST's on a PC for years as well as programming (in a limited way) sounds. I really know my way around most of the keyboard operating systems. ALL of them.

The issues with the Media Station were NOT of a programming nature, or of a "how to use" nature. I had that pretty much sorted out (with some help from Magica) within about 2 weeks. LOL, some owners had it for more than 2 years and STILL did not figure out as much as I did in that first few weeks.

Many of the questions asked of Dom were of a rhetorical nature, meaning I had basically figured out how something should go, I was more asking him for clarification JUST in case anything I did was going to stuff up the OS.

mmm..I agree with Genesys...are you sure Dennis that you are able to USE this all standard PC features? IF you can use the Logic 5 and Reaper for example, the you can use it on MS too...IF you can not use on MS, mean that you can not use on PC windows too.

Quote:
Now to AFG,

The issues with the MS were several. First and foremost were two glaring deficiencies that were told to me to work BEFORE I bought it.

These were the ability to use an external screen for programming (the screen on the MS is pathetically small for any REAL programming) and the Performance function.

The MS 800x600 display is pathetically small? Ouch...and then the al others Keyb that have ONLY 320x240 or LESS what they are?? On the PAX2/Audya do you have maybe 1280x1024 resolution for editing the styles/midifiles??
On MS really soon will be available the multiple display outs ( NOT mirrow, like the OL at max 1024x768) but the all resolution of the displays connected at the TWO independent VGA/DVI.
This features we had before on OS 2.8 but on Ubuntu was NOT included, because of the new PCIexpress GPU bus issue.

Quote:
This is the one that saves a "snapshot" of all the settings including the resource (style, mp3, smf) to a slot for later instant recall. Except every time you used it it crashed the whole keyboard.

Yes this I know, not working well from OS 2.8, because we have added a lot of new ASIO host features, on COMBI too and need to update the whole system for reconize the Wine ASIO code. I told a lot of time, this will be fixed after the multiple display and CDG are integrated.

Quote:
And I KNOW Dom says its to be fixed with the CDG function, but who the hell wants CDG function (except his DJ market in Europe). Like the KAOSS pad, cute idea and a nice toy, and it looks good on the resume, but not an everyday tool really.

All I wanted was a vital live play tool fixed.

The CDG feature is just implemented on some keyboards and the CDG is MORE request as the arranger engine, new generation people can NOT play the arranger, they will only Playback! This is the reason that also Roland Europe will NOT develope more new TOP arranger, the market is valued less at 1%, musician want ONLY workstation, Synths and simple playback system ( you can also see on roland products line..) Anyway, CDG will be integrated on MS too.

Quote:
Apparently both the external display and the Performance tools both worked on an earlier OS (2.8 I think). So, I thought to myself , simple, I will just revert back to that OS.

BUT that OS ONLY works with the previous motherboard.

The motherboard was changed to allow for faster processors. Good idea in theory!!But at the cost of losing those two vital functions, in my view, was not worth it.

But as with other changes, they seem to be done without any thought for users, without any real testing BEFORE making the change and certainly without any real documentation about the change other than its going to happen.

WRONG! Do you think that I have so much FUN to continue updating the mainboards and the Linux OS kernel??
Do you know what mean this words?:
OASYS= DISCONTINUED
G70=DISCONTINUED
E-80=DISCONTINUED
Korg I30=DISCONTINUED
Neko GEN1, GEN2, GEN3, GEN4= DISCONTINUED
and now on MS:
Mainboard Chaintech= DISCONTINUED ( bankrupt)
Asrock NF3= DISCONTINUED ( the last mainboard that support the multiple display)

So..do you prefer that the MS will be DISCONTINUED (like the OASYS) or continue survive this project?
We change and update the Mainboard/OS and we continue

Quote:
The point is is was SUPPOSED to work when I got the keyboard, not that it was coming "one day". The Performance function is a vital live play tool.

agree...depend also wich features you are looking for...take a example on Audya or just read the korgforums how much bugs they have too and are fixed after months ( IF they fix)

Quote:
There is a distinct lack of ANY serious documentation, and as this is a serious keyboard from a set-up and NOT OOTB point of view, this lack of proper manual was glaring.

I think the Oasys manual is huge by comparison. And using it one could pretty much get around learning the Oasys from it.
I use the Oasys example, as it is also a fully software based keyboard. But I also suspect the Open Labs manuals are pretty thorough as well.

Here I agree, manual have to big update for the all new features.
Do NOT compare with the OpenLabs manual, they only copy/paste features on 3th paty software...Just take the example how to burn the CD with NERO, or install one AntiVirus...is a OL feature?

Quote:
Oh and the MP3 player, ONLY plays bog standard MP3's. If you have MP3's with tags, it refuses to play them. Just jams up the player, although this glitch thankfully does not jam the keyboard.

So the only way is to load a 3rd party program to play these tagged MP3's, BUT this cannot be recalled using a Performance (if that ever gets fixed).

I actually sent a couple of MP3 examples to Dom so he could sort it, but I never got any response.

Of course, IF is not integrated the CDG feature how can the MS play this media??
I already told that will be integrated after the multiple displays.
For now, is really so bad to use a 3th paty software for running the CDG? I know.. you will all merged on MS and not pay nothing..understand...

Quote:
On the subject of the external screen, (again another thing I was told worked BEFORE I bought it), I now see it is going to cost owners to buy an update to now have an external screen operation, for something that was SUPPOSED to be already on it!!

This one I can understand as Dom did spend a LOT of money to have an external Linux programmer fix. But out of principle I was not prepared to pay it.

This is a good point..
ALL the MS OS developed from our lionstracs developer is totally FREE and will be forever FREE.
Elastique from Zplane is commercial, we have to pay the license.
Qranger is developed from 3th paty developer, we have to pay for the new features and NOT always they will ADD special features, because are NOT interested.

Xorg is the same, we have to pay this work for get this special display OS feature.

Try to Update your software, NI, Logic, Steinberg, Wersi and much others and let me know IF they give you some for FREE!
What you mean, because the MS can running windows application we MUST inclde the all commercial software application and library??
Example: why give a Neko that cost 3400 USD and the XXL cost 6900USD? just for one more usb controller? the difference is because the BUY the software and install on the keyboard.

HOW MUCH you have payed the DEMO MS X-76? ONLY 1000 Euro, BUT you want have inside all the software possible for FREE! Buy it and then you will see that you need more than 10.000 USD, ONLY for the software.
PAY me 8000 euro of the MS ( like Oasys) then I wil install for you the al software for the 5000 euro Value too.

Quote:
There are several buttons marked on the panel that do not work at all. Mainly to do with arranger functions that I consider basic.

These are manual bass, and break. Oh and there is NO way to have slash chords (or "On Bass" or whatever terminology you want to use) on the MS in any way. APART from programming your own bass lines in a style, and even then its not very musical.

The MS keys are working all, are just renamed on the PRO pannel with different features.
Bass line inversion and some other features are NOT possible, because we use the Timeline features and NOT RAM patterns like the others brands.

Quote:
Regardless of Doms' fix, the JACK still refuses to load properly on occasion which of course means a re-boot. Again this is not Doms fault but a fault with the Linux OS and the JACK setup. BUT it still is an issue.

right, this is not a MS OS bugs BUT from the kernel.
NOTE: we can full fix this kernel serial issue, BUT then for sure will NOT work on MS that have different mainboards.When the kernel is compiled in one mainboard chipset type, is NOT full warraty that will work to others mainboards too, we have to choose a compromise OR all must be BUY the Asrock K10N78-1396!

continue....