Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
Woh! I have always supported style editing on arrangers. I would always support advances that manufacturers would make in that respect. That is why I think the MS is leading in that area Unlike some persons who would keep criticizing the MS for having detail style editing. When persons tell the MS to not have these wonderful tools, other manufacturers like Yamaha, Roland and Korg would say “we do not have to have editing tools on our arrangers because arranger players can not and will not use them” and they would reference threads on synthzone on the MS.

That is the contradiction I was referring to. Criticizing the MS for having detail style editing while at the same time castigating the Audya for not having detail style editing.

I must have missed something... who criticized the MS for HAVING great editing tools? Plenty of people criticizing it for NOT having great styles. Different thing, there... As of yet, I still haven't heard anyone manage to convert styles from other manufacturers to be better sounding that the closed arranger thay came for. Heck, half of the excitement comes from FINALLY, the MS can play Live-Styler software and an wanky XG soundfont, and sound better than it already does. Despite the MS having the great editing tools, I fail to find anyone that has managed to convert styles for disparate VSTi's and make them work. Putting together a collection of VSTi's that all work and sound together as a whole soundset (as closed arrangers' soundsets are) is a formidable task (if it isn't, where are all the examples of it?).

Next, I am sorry, but editing a style so that it uses the same drumkit and bass player is NOT detail style editing. This is simple header stuff that even the Audya can do (or will, because SD-1 could do that) already. We are talking about tools that allow you to change ONE NOTE. Say a conversion ends up with a major variation that plays a minor chord (it happens! ). You can't do anything to the header to fix this. But, if you have event editing, you can go in and change all the minor thirds to major ones.

The MS does not allow you to have great conversions with one small mistake in it. Every conversion has to be built up from the ground up, especially drumkits. And the whole nature of 'open'-ness means that no-one can DESIGN a converter for it, because everyone's MS has a different selection of VSTi's in it. Sound mapping, velocity mapping, EQ mapping, volume and effects mapping. All these things vary dramatically depending on which VSTi's are installed.

No-one at all, from what I've read here, has criticized the MS for having great tools to edit styles (mind you, no-one has praised the ease of their use, compared to the Roland Makeup Tools and Style Composer). They are absolutely indispensable given it's open nature. But PLENTY of people have an issue with the basic style selection and soundset that comes with it. And given that most of us don't create styles from scratch, but edit existing styles and composite them together, having a great selection of styles especially developed for the best of the MS's ROM soundset (not wanky PSR XG soundset) is pretty important.

I'm sorry if English is not your native tongue, but somehow I think you have got your wires crossed if this whole thing has been about you thinking people thought the MS did NOT need editing tools...