I don't know why it has to be exclusively one or the other. I can't say that God WANTED me to lose those jobs, or FORCED those jobs to end. After all, I wasn't the only person affected by that. The other people who worked on these jobs also lost them. But, in my case, some unexpected things happened just when I needed them to. But it's not such a straight line, "God wanted this to happen, so it happened, and then God wanted that to happen, so that happened" It's all kinds of lives and situations playing out in different ways. Sure, we have free will, but in some way the big plan gets done.

Kind of like me producing these records. I have people in mind I want to hire, but they have free will whether to take the job or not. If they don't, I can find someone else, because the big picture will be accomplished.
Then, once I've hired them, I'm not going to dictate every single note they play. They are going to use their judgement and play what seems right, and I'll either like it or suggest they try something else. I'll direct and influence the general direction, but I won't plan out every note played by every person. But still the big picture will be accomplished.