Interesting observations...

I draw a line between Religion and Spirituality. I think Religion is Man's attempt to apply Spirituality in a systemic way across a Culture.

In my life, when I have tried to be strong in my Religion, or the practice of it, I usually feel as if I'm coming up short. Churches seem different to more than they were when I was younger. As a youth in Pittsburgh, I remember friendly, warm and thought-provoking sermons and messages. Living in Ohio for the last 20+ years, I've seen a big change. Its more gloom and doom, more you must do this or you're going to hell. That threatening tone doesn't resonate with me.

I also attended meetings with a youth group called "Young Life" when I was in High School. Maybe I was there for the music and the girls, but I usually felt comfortable there. It all changed for me when our local group attended a retreat and at one point 500+ teens were told "If you've accepted JC as your lord and savior, blah, blah, blah - stand up!" Most everybody jumped up, but a few of us didn't for various reasons. I'd personally never experienced an epiphany or anything so I thought it dis honest of me to just conform and stand. YL was never the same for me after that. I wanted to be "religious" I really did, but it just didn't pan out. I didn't seem to feel what the other kids did.

On the other hand, when it comes to Spirituality, its a whole different ballgame. A quiet, direct sense of communicating with what I perceive as God has worked much better for me. Is this approach a cop out? Maybe. Am I less of a good person because I don't profess my beliefs in a large room a few times a week with hundreds of other people? I don't think so.

Perhaps I'm what's called an "Ala Carte" Christian. I like this, this and that, but NOT that, that or this.

Faith is a helluva thing, lol...

I think I have it, but I admit that I also have doubts.

Is my struggle "God's Will" or "The Devil's Work?" Depends on who I talk to, I guess...

Chas-Some Atheists are among the most Spiritual souls I've ever met.

I try daily to live as virtuous a life as possible. I don't go out the door every day hoping to be the best Christian I can be, I go out and try to be the best Father, Husband and person I can be. If the sermons I heard as a young person were true, then it'll all work out for me in the end. If the messages of the last decade or so proclaiming I MUST do this and I MUST do that, then I'm probably screwed.

Again, no offense towards anyone or any beliefs.

------------------
Bill in Dayton