Often a discussion on this subject migrates towards a existentialist area. I have my reality, you have yours. If they overlap great, but its not necessary.

With growth and size of most anything worldly, comes unintended consequences and sometimes outright corruption.

All the great faiths seem to focus much on helping the poor, the weak, etc. in both spiritual and materialistic ways. There was a great movie back in the 80's called "The Mission" with Jeremy Irons, Robert DeNiro in it that really effected my views on organized religion and faith.

For all the quiet, dignified work that the Catholic Church has done through the years, right now the focus is, rightfully, on the Pedophilia problem. While not a Catholic, common sense tells me they should move faster, not slower to rid their house of that plague. Due process is important, witch hunts do no one any good, but I think there's a perception that the Church engaged in denial for far too long, at a potentially high price.

I understand the Biblical direction to go forward and spread the message, but that's where I find a problem. Raised a Methodist, I was taught that God is always with me. he knows my thoughts, my fears, my joys, etc. I can talk to him/with him anytime of my choosing. Location is not important. However, attending Church allows one to participate and enjoy the rituals of the Methodist faith. As I said before, churches in this area/in this time seem more confrontational. And that's a turn off. How did we get from "God is with you always, just talk to him and listen" to "No! Unless you say this and that, you will never know the glory of the lord!" Those two thoughts don't reconcile well in my mind.

The God I grew up with was inclusive. If a Man lives his life as virtuously as possible he will be welcomed into the kingdom of heaven. JC helps all those weak to be strong. The God I hear far too much about today seems to be the president of a very exclusive club. And the membership fees ain't cheap.

Make no mistake, I have plenty of doubts about this whole affair. I do tend to think that the further we take a person's experience with God away from a highly personal one to more of a group or organizational experience, for me at least, it just doesn't resonate.

Here's a contradiction to that...Having been to a Catholic service a few times and having paid attention to when we replace the Pope, I have to admit that the grandeur and the ritual is alluring. It draws you in because in many ways, I'd like to be part of that. It seems very impressive.

The struggle continues, lol...

------------------
Bill in Dayton