'I've already done this and you can see the end results in Video 7. It takes no more than 5 minutes to tweak a style. So, is there anything wrong with what you head in that video ?

Sounds good to me and exactly what I would expect to hear from a typical closed keyboard.'

Thats not strictly true James. I dont know if you have ever tweaked a style yourself for live use. But it takes much more than five mins. Trust me on that.

For example most styles comes with between 2- 4 variations . Then potentially another 2-4 fillings plus maybe 2 endings and intros. All potentially will need to be tweaked and balanced . Also for more complex styles than the one you used in your example there maybe completely different effects that were used in the original style that would need to be applied to the converted style to make it sound like the original style again for each style variation fillin etc. For example if i were to convert the funk style on my korg i would have to find a similar funk drum set with say for example flams in the style for the conversion and the bass sound will have different slides,slaps ,mutes and picks in it to make it sound authentic. This style has up to 3 or 4 Chord variations within each style (i think)and the bass pattens change subtley between chord variations. How easily does that convert to another bass and drum set from a totally different company ? For example is the programming thats was done in the bass sound in terms of its response to velocity plus the mutes slides etc all standard from one VSt to another ?

Then if you have the facility on your keyboard the sounds will need to Eq'd as well as balanced between variations. Not just adjusting the balance of the sounds but the tonal quality. Thats why the demo you did sounded just like any other style conversion i have ever heard and thats not a critiscism of what you did. it was acceptable style conversion . But like you, i have pride in the work that i do and acceptable is not really what i am looking for. These are just the things i have experienced when making a style conversion sound as good as or better than the original. It can be done on any arranger if you have the skill and the ears and the time but i have never heard one yet. some got close though......

I know your demo was just to show how it could be done in terms of technicality i thank you for. No one else to my knowledge has ever done this for us to see .So thank you for that . It is in no way a put down of your work James , i want to make that very clear.

The boast of the MS (that as yet remains just a boast) is that you can use converted styles and make them better than they sounded on the original. Also that this is fairly easy to do simply because of the potential selection of high quality sounds it can facilitate.I know from experience that to just make a style conversion sound as good as the original takes a lot of time and skill including a very good ear to guess what sounds and effects were used within the style to make it sound as good as the style .

So ....

All i need is
1.To hear a style demo with all variations fillins etc sounding better than the original it was copied from a true A B test
2. Details as to how it was done and how long it took you to do this with just one style.

Thats really not much to ask after waiting over 7 years .

[This message has been edited by spalding1968 (edited 04-25-2010).]