Originally Posted By: Scott Langholff
Ian

You sure did a fine job on the Nearness of You. Interesting idea on using the sustain with the sax for decay. You did that so smoothly I didn't notice or recognize you were using sustain. Usually I have a bird when I hear sustain on instruments that normally don't have sustain because it is so obvious and unnatural. I'll have to give that a try myself.

Thanks Scott. The sustain for decay works on SA Saxophone, and not on SA2. However, since I've recorded that piece, I've moved to the incredible Tyros4, and now use a volume pedal (Yamaha FC-7) for increased expression on sax and trumpet, as well as having far more control over the organ sounds (great for violin too).

Of course, you know that using the volume pedal with sax lets us increase the volume of the sound after we've initiated it's initial volume via velocity sensitivity; we both are familiar with sax (and wind) players increasing or swelling the volume of a note throughout it's duration, and using the volume pedal as stated, certainly adds to the accuracy of the emulation.

I'm not sure why SA2 doesn't decay the same way as SA, but thankfully, the SA Saxophone is one of the best saxes on the Tyros4 (and also on Tyros3/S910/S900).

The tricky bit for me is using volume with right foot (as I was used to on B-3 and Electone) and using the sustain with my left foot, something I am not used to, coming from a piano background, but I am now quite comfortable with that arrangement.

Ian