Quote:
Originally posted by spalding1968:
No lee i havent. It maybe a profitable market for 2 or 3 companies all fishing in a relatively small pond. But the more companies in that small market, the less profitable that market will appear RELATIVE to other more lucrative markets.

I didnt say there was no profit in it. I am saying that the effort to squeeze out that profit relative to other markets is greater.

For example ,like the old folks who buy a tyros remake each 2 or 3 years with brand new dollars ($4000 a shot) because it has choir voices on it and doo wop samples .

Trying to break into and make a profit from an already marginal area is a high risk business strategy compared to turning over the tyros obver and over again, or marginally improving the XS with the XF.

A

Exactly.

One way that a company could “break in” to a market is making that "break in" a secondary function.

It would be fool hearted for Yamaha to make a TOTL 76 well built synth/workstation arranger that weighs 40LBS, market it as such and say they are competing with the Korg and Roland 76 key arrangers.

Again, the fact that the arranger is 76 keys can not be the selling and marketing point.

Let me give you an example of how this concept works. In Europe, arrangers are somewhat use professionally. Most persons who use arrangers professionally in Europe use either Korg, Roland or Ketron. That market may not be the most lucrative market but it would be worth a manufacturer’s while to get in to it because of brand placement and brand loyalty.
Yamaha do not make arrangers that are for professionals. They make their arrangers for the home players. But, they gradually are including some professional features in their arrangers. Why? because they know that there are persons like King DNJ who see the value in a Yamaha home arranger and would willingly use it professionally.

Now, they are not directly competing nor are they marketing to the professional arranger market, but they are ever so slowly “breaking in” to that market by including some professional features in their home arrangers and some professionals are using them.

So that is why for Yamaha to make a DGX with PSR type features or a PSR with 76 keys would solve the problem that Yamaha has with respect to 76 keys on an arranger.

First off they would and should not build a good 76 key arranger with the build quality like the G70 or PA2X pro nor would They market it as 76 keys.

Sure the specs would show 76 keys but it is marketed and sold as a very good sounding arranger first for the home player. And, who ever wants to use it even if they are not home players are very welcome to do so.

If you can remember the Ipod and how it started off (used by kids to play music for fun) but look at how you have it being used by DJs. And now they develop Ipods while still for the home player, usable to the professional.

------------------
TTG

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 10-24-2010).]