Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Spalding,
I am aware of all that. I worked for IBM for 30 years and some of that time was manufacturing engineer at a plant.

All good points, however...you miss the original point. It is profitable, or Korg, Ketron ect. would not be currently doing it.
They would just make a 61.

How did we get on Moti cases? You would simply start with the Tyros (or PSR910) case design, tweek it for the new keybed and make a new mold. Molds are expensive...but we are not talking a multimillion $$ experiment.

Do you and others think a 76 key Tyros would not compete well with the other 76 key arrangers?? Maybe that's the real problem?

If that is the case...then Yamaha should take a good look at the competitions capablilities.

How many 76 key Motifs do you think Yamaha sells as compared to the 61's and 88's??
Not as many for sure...but they MAKE them...OK, do you think they would make them if they lost money? No.

They had to make that mold didn't they?

I have not looked at the detailed design, but it may only be a mold change in the kebed bezel area? That would be very easy to do. The oveall case may be long enough already.

This is not rocket science for a company with Yamahas resourses.

Lee S.

No lee i havent. It maybe a profitable market for 2 or 3 companies all fishing in a relatively small pond. But the more companies in that small market, the less profitable that market will appear RELATIVE to other more lucrative markets.

I didnt say there was no profit in it. I am saying that the effort to squeeze out that profit relative to other markets is greater.

For example ,like the old folks who buy a tyros remake each 2 or 3 years with brand new dollars ($4000 a shot) because it has choir voices on it and doo wop samples .

Trying to break into and make a profit from an already marginal area is a high risk business strategy compared to turning over the tyros obver and over again, or marginally improving the XS with the XF.

A