Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
The answer is still "No."

Ian

Yamaha... the company of NO. Sad, very sad.

Diki makes a valid point regarding the DGX and YPG series keyboards. They are arrangers that are more Piano-Focused in that they come in 76 and/or 88 keys. Now, these relatively inexpensive arrangers have a viable market and in fact many adults use them in the home too. Many people can afford a more costly higher-end solution in 76 and/or 88 keys even as evidenced by Korg, Roland, Ketron and now even Casio who is getting back into the higher-end game with their new 76 key game changer.

Apparently the PSR-9000PRO belly flopped so badly (although not because there was not a market because there was and is) but because Yamaha used under-powered processor chips that couldn't power everything in a seamless manner and other glitches that were inherent in the 9000PRO. When people found out about the PSR9000PRO shortcomings I imagine sales quickly dried up and Yamaha got stuck with a "loser" with fewer sales than they were hoping for. Which consequently made them ever so determined I guess to never build another 76 key high-end arranger ever again. End of story.

But the sad thing is if Yamaha actually made a proficient and satisfactory high end 76 key arranger with sufficient CPU power and resources and absent of any glitches that plagued the 9000PRO, I really think people would gladly fork over the cash for it. For whatever reason I guess Yamaha is still too skittish to make another effort in that area. Again, not because there isn't a market for high-end 76 key arrangers because I believe there is (remember the Poll??) and as attested by... you know who K, R, C, K, Mediastation etc.

If thousands of people are willing to pay $5 Grand or more for a 61 key Tyros don't you think they would be willing to pay a few hundred more for a Professional 76 key Tyros? Add 15 keys and keep it roughly the same dimensions and put a few more high-end features on it and voila! Build it and they will come... breaking down the doors to get one in my opinion. If, and that's a big IF... it really is the creme de la creme of achievement - with professional sounding Drum Kits, etc. Even as demonstrated by thousands upon thousands of people worldwide who buy 76 key high-end arrangers from Korg, Roland, Ketron, Casio, Mediastation etc., . PS: I'm assuming that Casio will have a real winner with their new 76 key higher-end arranger soon to hit the store shelves. At $799 I think they no doubt will.

The market is ripe for great 76 (or 88) key high-end arrangers, in my opinion, as long as they're not too heavy and the quality is there. But for whatever reason Yamaha seems determined to slough off 50% of the high-end arranger market. Oh well... such is life at the halls of Yamaha Japan I guess. The company of... "NO" apparently. Even as Ian pointed out.

All the best,
Mike

PS: I also think that keyboard manufacturers are charging WAAAYYYYYYY too much for their high-end arranger models. Especially Yamaha with their measly 61 key Tyros4 offering. You realize for every Tyros4 Yamaha sells they probably make around $2,500 - $3,000 pure profit right? Dropping the price by a thousand or fifteen hundred Yamaha would still make out like hogan's goat and more and more people would be willing to shell out at those lower price(s) and thereby increase overall sales and beget a similar bottom line as a result in my opinion. In stead Yamaha charges "through the nose", and consequently, alienates a good portion of their customer base, especially in these trying economic times we're currently experiencing the world over. Apparently Yamaha is quite content to "charge through the nose" at the expense of consumers I guess. Again, the company of "NO" who won't budge it seems huh? Thanks for clarifying Yamaha's position(s) Ian.