Trouble is, my 'opinion' happens to fit the facts, and nothing else does.

Maybe there is an altogether different reason that reflects the real truth of the matter, but I haven't seen or heard it yet.

OK... you asked to see some real figures. Let's just take this thread ALONE. There are eight current 76 owners that WOULD move or add a 76 Yamaha, compared to TWO current 76 users that wouldn't that have posted that opinion here. Of course, because they already have what they want, and adding a MOTL or TOTL 76 to Yamaha's line up wouldn't changer what they want or use (mind you, you'd be amazed at how some people can change their minds once something actually IS available!), none of the 61 naysayers are included in these figures (and I STILL haven't worked out why they are posting on the issue at all ).

So out of ten 76 users that DID respond, 80% of them would buy a Yamaha 76. And, to be honest, if you look at how Yamaha dominate in the 61 arena, this is unsurprising. If Yamaha make the best 61's (for most people), it stands to reason they would make the best 76's, too. Except their current corporate structure forbids them to do this.

80% of the 76 market is nothing to dismiss so lightly. But Yamaha ARE. No other company makes 76's as a loss leader for their other arrangers. ALL of them make a profit. Why Yamaha doesn't want a piece of this (the larger piece, from these figures!) is one of life's great mysteries.