Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Roland's cessation of 76's (and 61's) is due to two things.

1. Idiotic marketing.

2. Nothing new (still using old technology) to put in new models.

Well, you can't have it BOTH ways... You are the one constantly bringing up Roland's demise in the TOTL and MOTL sectors as 'proof' that 76's don't make money. But now you want to change horses mid-stream.

Baiting me and Fran isn't going to turn your turd of an argument into a gold nugget! No matter HOW many times you trot it out and try to polish it...

For ONCE, you actually got it right as to Roland's demise. Absolutely NOTHING to do with the number of keys. Mind you, I've been saying exactly the same thing for years now. Welcome aboard!

I am amazed that anyone can think that a 76 S910 or T$ is going to compete with ANYTHING that Yamaha currently make. It's utterly obvious that few if any current 61 players will move from the 61 T4 or S910. And no DGX or YPG or NP80v is in the same price bracket, OR technology bracket. MAYBE a few DGX users would 'move on up' to the MOTL market if Yamaha made it, maybe even to the TOTL bracket. but currently, they've already made their mind up they want the extra keys... so Yamaha HAVE to make it for them to stay Yamaha, should they decide they want something better than a BOTL arranger...

So, who is going to buy this mythic beast..? Everyone playing a DIFFERENT manufacturer's 76 that wants the Yamaha capabilities and sounds, and those Yamaha users that want a GOOD 76 arranger from the same company. Yamaha are already comfortable offering an upwards path from the PSR series in the same size... obviously, scavenging sales from a LOWER line is good business sense. But currently, Yamaha don't offer an upward path for any DGX or YPG user, unless you count the Clavinova's, which are STILL years behind even the PSR's...

So Yamaha make it, and the ONLY people that get hurt are the makers of OTHER companies' 76's.

Is that supposed to be BAD for Yamaha? Market dominance across the board? Personally, Korg, Ketron and Wersi must be thanking their lucky stars that Yamaha don't have the sense to go after that one last uncontested market segment...!