Quote:
Originally posted by spalding:
King frog i dont think you understand what can be done on a modern arranger. You are talking as though you cant create beats and loops or sample loops or import grooves from
sample CDs or sequence tracks linearly or import audio into modern arrangers. That can all be done right now. When ever we get into these discussion we act as though the way music is created on an arranger is different to how music is created on a workstation. If you were to open your mind a little you would see that the PA1x/2X for example isnt just like a work station IT IS A WORK STATION. I can sit at my brothers Motif XS and make soulful rnB or hip hop and i can sit at my PA1X and do pretty much the same. The difference is that with the PA1X in addition to working completely from scratch i can also use the styles as a 'suggestion' for what i want to create. The XS tries to do this but it is not as intutive as the PA1X.

The point i was making when i raised this thread was that the similarities between the way arrangers can be used (by people who actually get under the hood of the thing rather than just play and exchange a few months down the road) are very close . But the features that are inherently similar between what is deemed a work station and what is deemed an arranger are deliberately overlooked and confused by the manufacturers to maintain market segmentation.

The arranger market and the workstation market are deliberately kept separate to maximise the profitability from each range .

There is absiolutely no reason why every 'workstation 'produced shouldn't have arranger functions. It simply makes more commercial sense to keep the markets separate

I know you CAN.....But there is such a thing as the RIGHT tool for the right job. Thats why I have BOTH an Arranger and workstation. Sometimes one can use a carpenter's hammer when they should be using a ball peen...No way the PA2x I had was as flexibkle or as intuitive as the Motif..LOL although I bought it becasue i THOUGHT I could have the best of two worlds. It wasn't. It was half of both.

Workstations DO have arranger funtions. The Motif does in spades. But No one on the Motif forums seems top care much about the "arranger" part. They do care about the 6000 arpeggios though they can put where they want in any are of the song or pattern, mapped to velocity and or keys.

As for plug an play arrangements....no one I have heard from or ead buys a Motif for that purpose.

The arranger market = home Organ market
Workstation market = Players in bands and home recordists. (no schlagers in a Motif)

Two markets with SOME overlap. I personlly do not see much overlap in the Tyros 3 and the Motif XS8 at all. They are distinct in purpose and result. If I could use one solidly in place of the other I would not have both. As it stands the Motif allows 1000X more creative ouput and choics than the Tyros and only slightly less than the PA2x I sold.

YES you CAN create beats on a Tyros...but can you RESAMPLE them? Can you slice an Audio file into a loop? Can you edit an audio file's waveform visually and adjust the sliced beat peaks...to change tempo and not affect pitch? Can you cesate a Lo-fi effect arpeggio from scratch? There is a whole list of things one cannot do on any arranger in the modern context...You can on the PA2x to some extent but it's not as intuitive nore does it have near the flexibility and capabilitys of the M3 or Motif. ..Arrangers are like th SB256. Nice and they give you a "hint" of modern music but one needs a whole lot more to truly create something original,

You guys need to wrap yourself around a real modern Workstation for a few months and realize the differences. They are huge. And there is no substititute for the INTUITIVE work flow when in the creative process rathet then have to find "work arounds" and make concessions due to technical limitations.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 05-21-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA