Originally Posted By: Taike
Rosetree, not ALL Nazis were atheists. And no one was killed in the name of atheism. Can't say the same of Christianity. One only has to look in the bible to see how many were killed on orders of "God" and in the name of "God".

The Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot excuse doesn't make the grade for none of them killed in the name of atheism.

Anyway, we can't just ignore the history prior to the rise of Nazism: Crusades, Inquisitions, Colonization, Genocide, etc.

The leading ill-minded figures of the Nazi regime were atheists. Their ideology was based on a perverted interpretation of Darwinism. I know from my own parents (born 1928) how people were hindered from going to church. Of course lots of so-called Christians followed the regime and the majority and didn't have any courage to resist. But the Nazis and other examples, you mentioned some, show that atheism doesn't prevent the most cruel developments in any way. I think it's a wrong idea that eliminating religion would make humans more peaceful. I'm with you if it's about fundamentalism, but that's something different.

EDIT: Of course the Nazis or Stalin didn't kill "in the name of atheism". A very weak argument. Why would they use the term "atheism" to "justify" their slaughter. They used their own ideological terms, and their ideologies were atheistic ones.

Edited by rosetree (11/24/15 06:04 AM)