Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
I fully understand that Roland users like the way Roland allows the user to make changes to style and song tracks including individual changing of drum sound parts on their keyboards, but I don't find the Yamaha way any more difficult. With Roland you press a button, move around to the parts, make your changes and press save. On Yamaha, you move around on the mixer panel, make all your changes and select the digital record style function, hit the 2nd tab button and push save and now you have a custom style or song. Both do the job really well.
I think it's which you get used to. I also find that most of my customers would not get into individual drum map changes but rather select a different kit or just use the one associated with the style.

That's exactly the way we do it and there are so many styles to choose from you rarely have to tweak a style itself other than maybe switch out a voice or edit some efx. I fond myself creating new voices to use within styles and thats a pretty simple process.

But again the style library is huge so you will always find what you need. The voices are 2008 and the support is second to none by a long margin.

We sell Korg, Yamaha and Roland came in this week to offer their wares, but being primarily involved with Arrangers (which are less likely to become Internet purchases after we spend hours demoing them as was our experience with the higher end Motif and pure Pro workstation keyboards), we did not feel Roland had anything in the Arrangers world that would compete side by side in a quick demo situation. The real benefits of the Roland are deeper than most people who play these things want to go.

Arranger customers generally want to press as few buttons as possible and go. Rarely do I ever get a call on how to change reverb tails, or switch out voices even, I usually tell them to hook up the LAN and they will find everything they need either direct to the board or via their PC. Most people don't even revoice SMFs and are apparently content wth the standard XG voice set. The are amazed when they come back in and I take an SMF and revoice it using Megas, Sweets,Arts and cool voices...and even this can be done automatically and they still don't do it!!

Complicated to them would be putting a Leslie on a Jon Lord distorted organ where you would have to create the distorted organ voice choosing among various distortion EFX and setting distortion levels then save it as a new voice and apply the Leslie DSP to the new voice.

I would not discount the Korg for live play either,Although I found the style support abysmal in comarison, it makes a great traditional workstation and offers many features a live player would use. INstand bass fingering function via a button allowing the bass to follow the lowest note or the root with a push of a button, Yamaha has a few but you have to get into a menu to set them, I just use the AI bass which seems to work out for most chord changes. Sometimes it plays the root, sometimes not.

Cost and keys can be a huge consideration as well Tyros is pretty expensive and is 61 keys. You can get a G70 for far less with 76.

Play them. You will know immediately which one will sing to you. It's like buying a guitar. Initial impressions are usually the winner. This from a guy who bought the Korg PA2x initially "on paper", sold it and ended up with the T3.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA