Your users don't find themselves editing translated styles or adjusting a MIDI file to play it's best on the Tyros, then, are they George?

Heck, there are whole software only solutions out there for the fact that Yamaha's don't even have a standard GM drumkit, so fixing a handclap that comes out as a cowbell, or any of the other myriad things that can go wrong between different kit layouts (including velocity changes to account for different split velocities for drum sounds, etc.) that it is a wonder why anyone thinks you can easily play GM files on a Yamaha...

Truth is, I never found an SMF I couldn't improve... but I always USED to do it in a sequencer. I can do FAR more, far easier inside the Roland's than I could ever do with a sequencer (unless you start editing the notes themselves).

Your customers, George, are usually concentrating on only the ROM styles and soundset when they deal with you, but take an SMF at random off the web, put it in a Tyros3 and a Roland (it don't matter which one, they all have the same tools) and see which is fastest to make it sound good... IMO, the Roland can make it sound good fastest.

Fast, at least for me, means you are more likely to be willing to do it... hence more likely to sound polished, and slow makes you not willing to use the SMF (or translated style, they are about the same in ease) at all, for how much hoops altering it make you jump through...

I agree about the polished sound of the Yamaha's, and all that... but try the 'you've got two minutes to make a web SMF sound great.... GO!' test...

Anyone with hundreds of styles, or hundreds of SMF's to make sound their best would be well advised to at least CONSIDER this aspect as a main feature. Rather than the afterthought most make it.

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 11-22-2008).]