Originally Posted By: cgiles
Tony, in the context of being a "lazy man's tool", I'm sure you got the gist of what I meant. While you're at it, maybe you can explain why arranger players get so darn defensive and downright angry if anyone says anything that's not downright glowering about the thing. "Thou dost protest too much" comes to mind. Lots of people tell me the 'Hammond' sound is dated; I could care less; I like it. Quit trotting out the same old tired arguments about how much money you've made with your AK, or how much your audiences "love" your sound - compared to what? So dumb to take these things so personally. Even the much-loved DNJ can't make a true statement about these things without getting hammered smile smile.

Play on, baby, it's all music - more or less.

chas

chas WHOA ... you have TOTALLY misread me ... and that's not the first time, but I hope it's the last, ...

First, I don't think I've EVER been defensive or angry about AKs ... I have often said that to me they are a 'necessary evil' ... a way for me to make some golf money, and feed my ego by entertaining people ... if I could turn back the clock and be playing gigs with my four best friends again, I would gladly do it ...

Second, I also don't think I've EVER trotted "out the same old tired arguments about how much money you've made with your AK" because as I said, I make enough to pay for my golf ... and if I have said that people "love" my sound, it's only because that's what THEY have said - and I've never asked them "compared to what" ... perhaps next time I will ...

Third, the emphasis I added in that post was to answer the question that had been asked several times as to why we don't see Aks being used by 'pros' or 'big name' groups ... I have given my answer many times ... perhaps you might read it again and see that I'm actually on the same side of the 'argument' as you are ...

Fourth, if AK players do get defensive, perhaps it is because there are some people on this forum who when they speak of AK players, they do so in what appears to be a degrading manner ... while many of us may not be the same caliber players as some of you, I see no reason to degrade what we are doing ...

Fifth, I LOVE the Hammond sound as 'dated' as it might be ...

Sixth, I only take personally things that are said about me or my family ... music is in the ear of the beholder - some people like what I do, some don't ... just like any other art form, and everything else in life ...