Yes...a very good thread. Thanks Hammer for getting this started.

In fairness to EVERYBODY: We all do what we think needs to be done and it is not with the intention of undercutting or killing off the competition. At least, not in my case. We just want to work and be appreciated.

Think about it. Some people buy top of the line vehicles with all the options. Others buy basic, bare bone cars at the lower priced spectrum. Why? Its all they can afford. Nothing wrong with that. A lexus dealer knows there is no reason to advertise to the Yugo crowd.

We musicians, on the other hand, can decide to cater to the Cadillac crowd..or the Yugo crowd...or BOTH.

For instance: Nursing homes come in a variety of flavors. They range from very modest to lavish. While nursing homes are not my primary clients, my rate to play them varies by what they charge THEIR clients and their ability to pay. Oh yeah...and my desire to play them.

Same holds true for the evening gigs at animal and other social clubs (some 3 hrs, some 4 hrs). The fancy country club communities will often hire their entertainment through an agency for up to 3 or 4 times what I normally charge. If they call me direct, I can double my normal fee without guilt and they feel like they are getting a bargain. If they hire me through an agency, I get a premium fee for that THAT job, but don't have the legal ability to solicit them for future work. It is a contractual thing that comes with all "agency" bookings.

On the other side of the spectrum are the mobile home communities which offer as MANY or MORE engagements, but cannot afford what I consider to be the "going price". If I don't talk to them in their frame of reference, price-wise, I am immediately dismissed as too expensive and NEVER hired.

So...the lesson I have learned is: know your prospects and decide what is the appropriate charge for each potential client..and whether you are willing to play for what they are willing to pay. I wish it was more simple. But, it is not.

It is more "art" than "science". New Years Eve commands a handsome premium every year. But if you decline the first offer because it is too low, you may not get a second offer from any other client. Some times I am reminded of the famous phrase: A bird in the hand is...." well you know the rest.

Eddie