One thing I learned years ago is to always live BELOW your means. When I was in Corporate America, I also worked 6 nights a week in the music biz. I NEVER counted on this money. I contributed the max to my 401K, had a nice company retirement, saved a little of my playing money and spent the rest. I NEVER committed any of the music income long-term. For example, I would buy a Mazda or similar car I could easily afford on my day-gig pay instead of buying a Mercedes or more expensive vehicle.

Even though the kids are grown and on their own (except for all too frequent financial "emergencies"), I still bank my playing money...buy way too many toys...donate to several causes. But, I'm set for life. When the farm sold in 2000, I built a modest house
which cost about 10% of what I got for the property.

I feel guilty about what I have sometimes, but am comfortable and support the people and causes I care about.

If I never worked another day, I'd be comfortable for life. But, even though i could collect full retirement and SS within a few years, I'M NOT EVEN CLOSE to retiring!

Take care of your families and plan for your retirement! Pay off your residence or downsize when you get near retirement to fund your lifestyle.

Most of all, DON'T LIVE ABOVE YOUR MEANS! And, enjoy your time with those close to you!

Russ