Russ, you are TOO kind! I am in a good place right now in my life. I have probably the best music job in the area, 5 nights a week. I have two of everything so I can leave my gear set up all the time, even when I have an outside job. What else: a wonderful wife who's job provides income and insurance, great kids and now grandkids, health is good, home on the golf course, and of course the Scion XB!
I left the "real world" almost 30 years ago to be a musician. It hasn't always been easy but I've never regretted that decision. It helps to have an understanding wife who stands behind you even when you mess up!

Today I have to play for the Sheriff's fish fry at 5:00, then on to the supper club by 7:00. I can make it because I don't have to move anything. I can collect my gear from the party tomorrow at my leisure. Nobody will steal it from the Sheriff's Station!

Dave, the best investment I've made music-wise was the Bose L1 stystem. The second best was an additional Bose L1 system.
My Ketron SD5 is at the supper club and I'll use either PSR900 or Midjay at the fish fry.
Main problem is I'll be expected to eat dinner twice!

Getting back to the topic of the thread--the economy could certainly have a big effect on my situation. I'm trying to keep a positive outlook and hang on as long as possible. I'm old enough to retire, but TO WHAT??? I'm already doing what I love to do.
DonM