Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:

My "sell out" years ago" involved locating the source for the best pay (be it art, graphics, music, photography...whatever) and doing that. And that is something I'm not very proud of.

"Sell out" Russ

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:

My "sell out" years ago" involved locating the source for the best pay (be it art, graphics, music, photography...whatever) and doing that. And that is something I'm not very proud of.

"Sell out" Russ

I never thought much about it until now. This line pretty much focussed my thoughts. I guess I had enough sense and "sold out" myself when I became a DJ/KJ years ago.

As far back as I can remember I was in it for the playing. I fought the DJ craze for the longest time until I realized that was where the money was going to be. So one day I made the transformation and haven't really regretted it. Especially not when bill time comes around every 30 days!

Sure I still play, but I do a bit of everything now. Yet, I really miss the days when I would walk in to an event, set my keyboard up, and dazzle everyone with fancy keyboard work....and...be treated like a member of Royalty.

As for the doom and gloom that this thread seems to be changing to, I have some good news. I played today in a very rich community for an end-of-the-year school event. They reminded me that there is still “money” in the world. They've been my client for a number of years now. Someone remarked: rich folks will pay well if you give them value for their money! And, if you don't, you're out the door.

The parallel is the class separation in today's modern world. Just as the middle class has been squeezed out, so has middle-of-the-road musicians. You now either move forward to where the money is, or fall back and swim with the sharks!

If anyone else has a different solution, I'd love to hear it. After years of entertaining, I’m not sure I have the energy anymore to move into another environment!

Hammer is correct….”What a cool thread this has become!”

Lucky