What a cool thread this has become - it is really interesting how we get to a certain age and place in our lives and we suddenly discover what is really important in our lives. I don't know most of the members here being somewhat new but there have been some very wise thoughts given in this thread. I too am retired and "set" as they say for the rest of my life - great kids, a wife who I could never say enough good things about, and now all I have to do is stay healthy and continue to do little things for folks less fortunate than myself. To this day we still are frugal about our spending. I have friends who always ask us how we "afford" some of the things we have and do. What they really want to ask is how much are you worth or where does you money come from. Little do they know it is all because of hard work and budgets over the last 50 years. I taught school most of my life and I can't remember a time that I didn't have at least one other job to go along with it - mostly music jobs. Many were the nights I would get home after 2AM from a music gig and be at school in the classroom at 8AM on the job.

Seems like a lot of the folks under 30 I meet think the world owes them a living and to even suggest a 2nd or 3rd job is a personal insult to them. I was always taught you get out of life what you put into it.

Wow! I usually don't get on a soapbox.

Hammer

[This message has been edited by hammer (edited 06-12-2008).]