This has turned into a very interesting thread. I started playing around 1956 in the St. Louis area - a very Union strong town. I was to young at the time to join but did so later. All gigs had a minimum pay scale that had to be paid and it helped everyone including the venue owners. Basically, those who could play - did those who couldn't - didn't. The owners of venues knew they were getting capable musicians and were for the most part ok with pricing. I moved to Texas in the early 1960's - a right to work state - and immediatly began to see a vast difference in the music market. Even though I was a member of two musicians Unions there were still times when prices were a little strange. All the top gigs required Union membership but there were tons of non-union gigs and that was the beging of the end of guarenteed pricing. Today - everyone on a local level is having trouble "making a living" playing music.

Seems to me everyone has a valid point here - times have changed and everyone does what is necessary to "get by". I certainly agree with the effort to help reform NH practices. I have seen cutbacks and reluctance on ADs to hire decent players the last year and it is very frustrating to keep calling the ADs who seem to be simply fulfilling an obligation to the job rather then serving their population.

I manage to keep as busy as I really want at this time in my life but I really feel for those folks depending on this income for their families.

Hammer