Adding 3rd party samples and VST instruments into OAS instruments.

In the old days of arrangers, the number of sounds was very limited, and so one sound had to be suitable for many different genres of music, if you added external sounds then the chances are that their sound characteristics were totally different from the existing sounds and so required extensive adjustment to get them to blend in.
Modern arrangers have 100s of sounds, and so you can choose the type of instrument to suit the song, (Jazz song – Jazz Trumpet, Big Band – Big Band Trumpet) if however you mix the wrong sounds, (Jazz Trumpet – Orchestral Trombone) then the mix becomes unnatural.
The same applies when importing 3rd party samples into OAS, if you mix the wrong sounds it just becomes unnatural, however if you mix the sounds correctly, then they blend in as if they had come with the OAS instrument, (According to the sales blurb) in reality adjustments to the volume and reverb of the new voice are required to enable matching with existing voices. (Each manufacture has their own particular settings for volume and reverb)
This is easily achieved in OAS by loading in the sound, and then going into sound edit function and adjusting the virtual sliders for volume and reverb, the voice can then be resaved, once this is done, it becomes as if it was part of the original OAS instrument. (Just like loading Yamaha samples into a Yamaha arranger)
The above also applies to VST instruments, however as they are instruments in there own right, you make the adjustments from within the instrument itself. (Just as if you connected a Tyros 2 to a Roland G70 via midi)
If it is a sample VST (Such as Colossus) then while the sounds will be more accurate, providing you keep the sounds matched, (Jazz – Jazz, Big Band – Big Band) then the sounds will blend in with the OAS instrument.
If it is an instrument VST (Such as B4 or FM7) then the sound quite correctly will not blend in, this is because the B4 emulates a Hammond B3, and the FM7 emulates a Yamaha DX7, (If you had the real instruments, you would expect them to have there own sound) therefore you would mix these instruments in the same way as if you were playing in band, where other members were using these instruments.
I hope the above explanation helps, if you require any more info then just post your question, or if I am online and you have Skype, then give me a call.
My Skype name is; abacusks1

Bill