Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Originally Posted By: Bill in Dayton

Yes Ian, I should add that to my knowledge no other single act in this area uses a double L1 system. There's a popular duo that does, I'm told.

Same is true here, and in most locations I've visited over the past five years, Bill. I probably have heard two dozen or more OMB entertainers using a single L1, or a single L1 Compact, and NONE would consider going back to a conventional sound system--STEREO OR NOT! There's just no comparison.

I'm not surprised, Bill, as many of the acts in my area don't even use one Bose L1 because two are way too expensive, and one is very unflattering (in my opinion, and in the opinion of quite a few more I might add).

Unflattering is not a word that anyone I know in this business that would be used to describe a single L1 or L1 Compact when used in conjunction with ANY keyboard, Ian. Sorry, that just don't cut it with any of the performers I come in contact with on a regular basis. Sure, home players and those that may do an occasional music job may believe they MUST HAVE stereo in order to sound good to their audiences, but this has never been the case--even with Yamaha. Keep in mind that I'm a major Yamaha fan, but their Grand Piano has never been the top of the heap, and never provided that full, robust sound that you would hear from a grand piano--stereo or mono. On the other hand, both you and Scott Yee primarily use the grand piano voice, and without stereo, Yamaha's grand piano falls flat on it's a$$. At most, on this forum, there may be a half-dozen, full-time performers that MUST HAVE stereo. The rest of us seem to do extremely well with mono.

Bill, it's fine by me that you find the single Bose L1 is suitable for your needs...unfortunately, many of us Yamaha players who like to hear, and have the audience hear, the arranger it as it should sound, in, as you say, "glorious stereo" don't agree.

WHAT STEREO? Just how much separation do you think that audience hears--if any. Sure, the stereo piano sounds a bit fuller, but that's pretty much the extent of it. Take the time to carefully analyze those onboard and third-party styles and you'll find that most of the voices used in the style's makeup are equally balanced, thus they are mono--NOT STEREO! Therefore, if the styles are basically mono, then the only thing that can really be stereo is your right hand voices. How many right-hand voices other than the grand piano are truly stereo sampled?

I don't know about you Bill, but I'll take "glorious stereo" anytime over one-dimensional mono, and if I can't manage two Bose L1's to rent/buy for the season, I'll happily work with the next best thing, which is a Yamaha Stagepass 500 stereo PA system (or it's equivalent in another brand).

Having used the Stagepass 500 for two days, I can honestly say it should not be mentioned in the same sentence with the Bose systems--there's no comparison at all. TO ME, it sounded distorted throughout the entire range of frequencies, the falloff was horrendous, and the bottom end was lousy.

I know you are fussy on your sound and your presentation, and you probably put on a very good performance, but, I honestly can't imagine working that hard to perfect a show, and then sending it out in un-glorious mono to the listening audience.

Ian, this isn't our first rodeo. The vast majority of Bose system users have been there and done that more times than we care to talk about. We've spent thousands upon thousands of dollars trying to find the perfect sound systems, systems that provide us with the most accurate reproduction of not only our instruments, but our vocals as well. The cost is almost inconsequential--it's the final product that counts most. We query our audiences and employers on a regular basis to determine if there is something we, as OMB entertainers and musicians, can do better. I can honestly say without a doubt that 99.9 percent of our respondents say "Don't change a thing!" We spend, and do, what it takes to provide the best of the best for our audiences, including those in Nursing Homes and assisted living centers. It's not "Glorious Stereo"--it's a lot better than that.

If you were using another brand of arranger, which does not have phase cancellation problems (like a Korg PA or Roland G-70) I would say using an L1 would probably do the job admirably (although still a little weak in mids) but I'm afraid we're going to have to agree to disagree about using a single L1 with a Yamaha arranger.

As I said earlier, I'm not about to try and get someone to switch or change what they are happy with using, but since I am connected with Yamaha (in a very small way) I feel it's important to make those considering a purchase of a single Bose L1 to use with their Yamaha arranger, aware of any potential problems or unsatisfactory performance.

If you're not trying to get someone to switch to another system, then why did you bother to mention that Stagepass 500? Whoops! Wouldn't it be better to tell those to whom you are demonstrating Yamaha keyboards that the only limitations of playing a Yamaha arranger keyboard are with Yamaha's stereo sampled grand piano, which even in stereo sounds a bit thin and lack mid range quality?

I'm sure if you were in my position, you would do the same.

Ian

No, I wouldn't!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)