Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Originally Posted By: Bill in Dayton

I know for a fact there are other acts in my area who use stereo systems, so I'm curious why that doesn't elevate them above my basic sound quality?

I miss the gorgeous stereo panning when I use the L1, but to me, its a different kind of good. I'm with everyone who feels stereo is the way to go, but I maintain a mono system properly set up, with instruments properly set up, can sound very, very good. I know there's a big difference to my ears, but for the most part, the difference may stop there.

It can happen, Bill...using a stereo system (two Bose L1's) elevated my sound above the others who used mono systems. When I did my summer long theater stint using a lowly S910 and a pair of Bose L1's, I was consistently told how much better the sound was compared to the other two keyboardists who used one of the house systems, which was in mono.

I suspect it also helped that I was using Bose L1's, as the stereo sweet spot was huge...I checked it out myself using a recording I had done, and it didn't seem to matter where I stood, I could distinguish stereo separation, although, admittedly, much stronger from middle aisle to the front row.

I missed the gorgeous stereo sound so much when I tried using one Bose L1, I wouldn't even think of not using two. My sound is the most important aspect of my performance, along with good material and an equally well prepared (and well rehearsed) set...I don't skimp on anything any more as I've learned over my many years of playing, that "the devil is in the details".

As has been said earlier, it depends on if you can live with the mono sound and still feel content with what you produce.

Several here seem quite happy to use mono Bose, several others wouldn't dream of it, and this topic always ends this way...it's been discussed many times here on SZ and other forums as well.

I will say, that on the Yamaha forums, the vast majority use stereo systems, including the professional entertainers, so the Yamaha-esque phase cancellation in mono is well known and in most cases, avoided at all costs, so it seems it is obviously something important to consider if one wants optimum sound from one's stereo arranger keyboard.

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes

I think the majority have come to the final conclusion, if it looks like a stereo KB, if it’s got Left & Right speaker sockets like a stereo KB, then it must be stereo KB and it was meant to be played in stereo like a stereo KB, if you want to drive only one side of your KB that’s OK.

Bose make some hellish good gear and no doubt the L1 Compact is good, it certainly cost enough, top dollar, its less for you to lug around , your audiences are not discerning enough to ever know the difference between mono and stereo, so you carry on , in the UK we have a saying “whatever floats your boat”.

I agree Tony...arrangers (especially Yamaha)they are meant to be played in stereo, but, in some cases, the audiences "are not discerning enough to ever know the difference between mono and stereo".

In my case, in a relatively more formal theatre setting, the audience did know the difference, and so did I.

But as you say in the UK...“whatever floats your boat”.

If it works for his/her needs, and the mono sound isn't much of an issue, a player using one Bose will save a considerable amount of money (great for the more frugal amongst us) and also nearly halve the set up time, usually important when doing several gigs a day.

In my case, I had lots of time to set up, I couldn't live with the mono sound, so it was with two L1's I went a-playing...and, I am very glad I did....it made the whole experience so much better for all concerned.

Ian

Yes Ian, I should add that to my knowledge no other single act in this area uses a double L1 system. There's a popular duo that does, I'm told.