Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
it is about Yamaha's well founded phase cancellation phenomenon.
I agree that the problem lies with Yamaha's unique 'phase cancellation' issue, and not with the Bose L1 or any other mono output speaker units used.
On the other hand, 'mono' samples aren't affected by this effects phase cancellation problem.

I still always insist on going out in stereo whenever possible,
but I've found (but only after upgrading to a Tyros 2 generation arranger and later) going out to a single speaker,
at least tolerably acceptable when going out mono is the only setup option available,
but only if you restrict yourself to playing 'mono sampled' voices.

This problem, according to Yamaha Canada, goes all the way back to the PSR-8000, and mainly affects the Sweet!, Cool!, Live!, SA, SA2, and most mega, voices, and therefore pianos, electric pianos, guitars, strings, brass, organs etc.

It is not merely restricted to the piano voice, although, because it is the one most used, it gets most of the attention.

Attempts at editing voices to eliminate or reduce phase cancellation have resulted in one dimensional, un-dynamic sounds; the ones I've heard could not be deemed remotely useful.

Still, the very well known phase cancellation does not seem to bother a few users...I suppose they are lucky, certainly far more fortunate than their listening audience.

Like you Scott, since my sound is very important to me, using stereo is the only real solution.

Ian