Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi,
if I understand correctly, what you're hoping to do is, use the keyboard to record your composition ( using styles??) then use sd2 as soundsource for the final recording?? instead of using the keyboards internal sounds, even for the style tracks?

The sd2 won't play back the psr drum tracks 100% correctly without remapping some of them, velocity of certain drum types may need adjusting also. If you download the Technical data manuals & do a comparison of the drum maps , you'll see what I mean.
Mainly the drum notes below note 35( bass drum). GM & XG differs, and a number of psr styles use these drums.

I was actually midi-ing the sd2 to my psr in style play mode, not in sequencer mode.
Do a thorough check of the midi specs in sequencer mode . I've never used the sequencer, maybe the options in sequencer mode are better than in style mode.

Either way, if you're hoping to just get on with composing & not having to tweak sounds & remap drums etc, ( for the style tracks )you'd really be better off buying a keyboard with sounds & styles you like & get on with your composing.

I've spent a bit of time converting some of my psr styles across to korg format( from a midi file), & discovered some of the pitfalls.

best wishes
Rikki

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 07-17-2009).]

hi Rikki,yes I want to do quick demos of my compositions using styles: the idea is to come up with the structure ,the themes,the chords,the parts,record them,and to have a demo of my idea,that I can listen back to and judge if the idea is worth pursuing further.
I think that this way is an huge time saver...instead of programming everything from scratch (the drums,etc, the so-called 'Linear sequencing' ) the arranger would provide for me an immediate rhythm section,just so that I make a demo and listen back to. That's what I always liked about arrangers even though I have never played or worked in hotels or piano bars (which I think can be nice too! )

With the Ketron SD, I was hoping that I would be able to use it with an arranger ,while I compose,just so that I am playing in real time with the best possible sounds,as this influences a lot the way you are improvising the parts,the dynamics you put into.

then,once I have the complete tracks done ,with all the main parts,I would import them as a midi file in my PC. I would substitute all the sounds with the sounds from Eastwest,for the best possible results (I might even leave the original Ketron sounds,as most sounds seems to be very good. ) Then I don't care if the computer gives me errors or if it crashes....I would be still happy because the music has been written efficiently. From then on,it would only be a matter of doing the final editing tweaks (I am planning to do much of the editing with the arranger as well. Less features,but more efficiency because there are no interruptions or problems).

So the arranger,the Tascam DP and the Ketron SD would be my main writing source,and use the PC only after the composing has been written.

But now I am seriously considering what you have said about just getting the sounds from the keyboard and thus getting the best possible sounding keyboard I can get. It makes sense because it saves lots of time and effort.