Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Is the bloom coming off the rose, Kingfrog?

I remember when you first got the T3, it was all 'this is going to be my 'arranger', just like Bacharach, or Nelson Riddle', or whoever you considered a great arranger in the human sense of the word.

Sadly, as you are beginning to find out (or already probably knew) a machine is no substitute for a talented arranger (and talented players). Sure, you can get close up to a point. But after that it gets harder and harder the further on towards true music you want to take it. If there WERE an arranger that could equal the efforts of talented teams of pros, with all their experience and creativity, you can be assured there wouldn't be a REAL arranger working today!

I'm curious, too... why a module? I would have thought, in a studio environment, that VSTi's are going to take you MUCH further along the road towards realism and expressiveness...

No the Rose is very much in Bloom. But only for NEW material. I have zero complaints and find plenty of usable styles that do all I need them to do and more in creation of new works. I bought the T3 for Styles. (An expensive Band in the Box) The voices are a bonus. All I need to get is "close" Its not like I'm going to get a record or songwriting deal. The T3 is close enough by itself. However....

The rose withers when I want to re record something I have already sequenced from years ago. Thats why I initially bought the Korg PA2x. I erroneously thought I would have the best of both worlds, a solid traditional workstation, AND an Arranger for inspiration for new songs. Sadly the latter did not offer the wealth of arrangements to choose from and my reason for buying an Arranger was severely limited. I may as well have purchased the M3. But I need "professional arrangements" (meaning anything better then I can do). The T3 has the largest support on that regard.

But as a "conventional" workstation where I can take previously recorded Sequences and pipe them through it's a PIA. I don;t know if you are familiar with Sonar, You don;t want to see the INS file for the T3....LOL Plus the better voices have "Mega" information I do not have recorded in my sequences. A workstation/module is built specifically for this purpose and in that regard a walk in the park to re-voice finished arrangements including the T3 Drum parts as well.

I do use VSTIs Dimension Pro, B2 and even Drums on Demand loops, but I don't have an M3M's worth nor will I get some of the Karma type Arps. Takes a lot of heat off the PC as well keeping the VSTIS to a minimum.

Then there's my wife who is not getting the whole VSTI thing and uses the T3 as a MIDI player to record parts for her live gigs to CD. A module would help her as well with her writing and recording as she is more hardware oriented than Software oriented.She still has an ESQ Mirage and TX7 in the attic she won;t part with.

Purchasing a module does not in any way diminish the T3 as a tool for creation of new songs. It actually enhances the process providing a different "voice" to a song. Three different Manufacturers voicings in an arrangement sounds better then using One VSTI Sampler or Hardware Brand which is why I'm leaning toward an M3M. We already have the Roland RD700 Piano as a controller, the T3 and a Korg M3M module would complete the Hardware "Trinity".

Besides I get this stuff at less than dealer cost directly from the reps, so why not take advantage while I have the opportunity to have a T3 and an M3M for less than a discounted T3?

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 01-07-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA