To me it doesn't make sense partly due to one of the reasons the power switch is on the rear to begin with. Sure I can understand some Yamaha users have gotten used to the front panel location..., but this feature is really a rarity in keyboards (outside of arrangers both low and mid end).

Many pro and semi-pro keyboards have their switch on the rear.., and their owners also have them up against walls and have no problem accessing the power switch. In reality how close can you really get your board to the wall to begin with? Especially if you have either audio cables running from the outputs or even a sustain pedal or expression pedal hooked up.

One of the reasons the power switch is on the rear..., is so there is no accidental loss of power (by the user). 99.99% of the keyboards I've owned in my lifetime have had the powerswitch on the rear.., and I've never found it a problem.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.