Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
First of all, if you close your eyes at a performance, they might as well put on a CD

The audience, unless they have absolutely NO concern whether an act is karaoke, lip synching, or a DJ prancing around (sadly, that's a large percentage these days ) wants to feel that whoever they are looking at is actually playing and singing. Allow the machines to play almost everything, and you are allowing them to assume you aren't playing anything at all...

Force yourself to play as much as you can, and that is a degree of effort that will be easily SEEN, rather than just heard. If the audience just wants to HEAR something like the record, they can hire a DJ... Oh, that's right. We're supposed to do THAT now as well, aren't we?

I'll say this without all teh rolling eyes and silly smileys.....when I played Alto Sax & Percussion in HS school orchestras.....we were always taken to big Philharmonic Halls, Academies of Music for Music appreciation exercises. What's that you say?......
You sit in the audience listening to a approx 50pc orchestra...then during the performances they would shut the lights out during certain solos....when the lights went on again you had to write down what instruments were playing the solos. You were tested and graded accordingly. The reason for this was to teach you how to LISTEN to different instruments within the MIX & isolate them so your ears would become sharper....you'd be very surprised at how keen your auditory range, detecting, & ability to perceive sound can improve.

Believe me listen to the darkness & you will be surprised at what you hear !