Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Man the more I look at it, and read into manuals ect, I have to say that of the top 3 makers out there, Korg arrangers IMO are probably the closet thing that merges the "synth and arranger". I am very impressed with the voice engine in the PA series. Even the PA-50 has a 4 osc synth engine.

I think Korg is the leader here in catering to the synth junkies out there looking to have both an arranger and a synth in one. I think Roland follows closely behind them, and Yamaha... well they still have yet to get there IMO.

**I'm also talking editig options within the keyboard itself and not editing features that have to be used via external software**

Boy I hope this store I visit over the weekend has a PA-800. I really want to try this unit. They're loaded up on PA-50's though. So I'll get to play with the voice editing on that unit I look forward to it too.

I'm gonna have quite a few reviews to post after this weekend

Squeak

I figured I'd chime in here. The Korg PA800's sequencer is also clearly more sophisticated than the Roland E-series of which I own an E-50. Of course...it better be as it's twice the price! I've been reading the PA800's manual lately and am very impressed. One of the things I really like about the Korg's are that when you go into the Quick Record Backing Sequence and record something with a given Style you can go into the sequence later via event view and change styles like you would change program/bank patch events. This means you can change on a dime style changes. You can't do that with the Roland sequencers that I know of. One might say "I can do much more within my DAW with an external sequencer" but I like the idea of getting maximum ease and flexibility with these onboard sequencers for fleshing out most of the song and not have to muck about with the PC. The Korg sequencer seems very intuitive yet powerful. On the Roland's there are basically 2 ways to sequence midi events. Recorder vs 16 Track.The Recorder can record 16 tracks at a time but if you attempt to then overdub 16 tracks halfway through the song you realize it doesn't work. It simply starts at the beginning and erases what you just recorded. Inversely, the 16 Track sequencer method only allows overdubbing one track at a time. Huh?? What about 16 tracks with unlimited overdubbing with any amount of tracks? The Korg kills this in every way especially considering it's ability to change styles within the sequencer. Very well thought out.

Brian