Mike: I meant to reply to you about it but after writing a long reply, it got deleted somehow. I agree with Bob basically. Another example is when Abraham had to offer his only son Isaac by God's instruction. In today's world that is an instruction to commit a 1st degree murder !!! But we are talking about the ancient times when God was doing this along with other instructions to make war to conquer lands for the Israelites. Buy one must remember the huge miracles that God did in the plain sight of multitudes such as the pillars of fire and the parting of the Red sea, the manna breads falling from heaven, etc, etc. There was no doubt in anybody's minds that God is at work and they had to obey it. It was not a delusionals imagination of a particular individual. It was plain to everyone that it was God. That is why they could carry out those seemingly violent actions. So, in short it was not a crime because they were obeying God.

But today after Jesus arrived after being foretold by prophets of the old days is fortunately a different time. A time of grace, forgiveness and non-violence as Jesus showed for an example of how we should live. If there is anyone who wants to repeat the acts of Abraham today would contradict with Jesus Christ teachings and that clearly cannot be Christianity.

As for the statues/graven image, I think it is pretty clear that God forbid anyone to worship things other than God. I think you can have paintings/artworks depicting Jesus, etc but you are not allowed to worship it. As long as it is not worshipped, then it is just an art object.

Not sure if this clears up your q's or not ?