Mike,
You have a few legitimate questions, that perhaps on some level I can address. Yes the Bible says Thou shalt not kill. Then later on in the Bible God commands the Israelites to take the land that God has already given them. And at times to actually kill. IN fact there have been times God has commanded his choosen people to kill many of their own. Odd?
Read Exodus Chapter 32. It's a very intriging story that sums up humanity to a great degree and this seemingly contridiction. God has already delievered the peopl. He is there God and Redeemer. But what happens to these people? The wish not to recognize God because a man is late. Not a wise choice. Application number 1, because of what man has done, they ignore God. Don't let this happen to you. Then when Moses confronts them (Aaron specifically) he (Aaron ) acts like he's innocent and suprised. His actual answer is "Thye gave me the gold, I threw it in the fire and out came this calf!". Pretty lame don't you think?

But the story doesn't stop there, Moses actually asked them all "Whoever is for the Lord, come to me". Well many didn't come to him. They were subsequently killed. About 3,000 actually,

So what then? Seems to contradict? Not really. These people were delivered by God. They all witnessed greaty mircales and yet chose to ignore God. Then when actually asked to join the Lord, they declined. Seem to me their blood was on their own head.

This is like the story of mankind and God. Man has been redeemed (through the work of Christ on the cross), yet they ignore it. Then when given the gospel, they ignore that too. God's wrath then remains on them. God the Creator gives and takes away. It's that simple. We are not to play God. We are not to kill. It should not be in our hearts to kill. And that is the heart of the matter actually. God see the heart of all men. Jesus even said that anyone who holds hatred in the heart for another is guilty of murder. (Matthew 5:21-22).

When God redeemee the Israelites from the Egyptians, he was accomplishing two things. 1) redeeming His people and 2) judging those who reject Him. The same thing happend when the Israelites were winnign battles to conquer the Promosed Land. These people that were dying in war were actually being judged by God for their evil ways.
But we as humans are not to take this step ourselves.

I agree with some things you stated and about the "church" this is why I have become a protestant. I was once Catholic and was totally confused byt all their heavy laws and history that seemed to conflict with the Bible.

Anyway, I have to run now. I will tell you the truth flat out, Jesus Christ is the truth and the way. No one comes to the Father except through Jesus. Seek out Christ with all your heart my friend. You will find salvation and answers.

Peace
Bob
<><

PS I rushed this post, sorry for any typos.

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 07-26-2005).]