I had no idea of the extent of the use of backing tracks. I know it is because of my age because the majority of the bands started using them from the late nineties on. Many of my peers consider a backing track cheating. Personally, I think it depends on the extent of automation versus actual playing or singing, and what parts are not played by the musician. As an example, when I see lip syncing or, someone pretending to play, my estimation of him or her goes down the drain. Yet, when I play with an arranger, it seems acceptable because everyone knows one person can't sound like a full and or orchestra without some outside help. Yes, the purists even rail against this. The other question about tracks is how they are made. Is Karaoke taboo, but pre-recorded parts later mixed into the master acceptable, and by whom?

We older musos have spent many years perfecting our trade, and self satisfaction or ego enters into the equation. We see young wannabe's coming out with full backing while contributing some minor part themselves, and feeling it isn't fair. Welcome to the age of automation. As far as we are concerned, playing an arranger, we wonder if the audience even appreciates our own artistry, and think we are playing a jukebox.

Back in the day, 50 or 60 years ago, I was the first in Palm Beach County to play a B3 with a Rythm Ace(drum machine), and I was a hit; no more. I guess we either follow today's trend toward backing tracks or play to small groups of seniors.

In any event, we will always have the self satisfaction of knowing what we accomplished through the years, whether the kids appreciate it or not.