Originally Posted By: Tyrosman5
About timing:
This is one area that teachers have the most trouble with. It seems that one hears it or does not. It's also another area
where teachers "forget" about it and let students go on and
on skipping note values.

However, if someone loves to play music for their own enjoyment,then let em skip all they want to. Lloyd

Agree 100%. John C (bruno123) says "The untalented player can be taught timing". I agree with John on most things, but not this. I share YOUR view on this particular point.

On your other point, "if someone loves to play music for their own enjoyment,then let em skip all they want to", I also agree. I don't ever recall criticizing a home player or hobbyist. What they do with their own money and why and how they do it is nobody's business but theirs. BUT, once you 'take your act on the road' (deliberately put it in the public domain), you can be sure it's going to be critiqued, for good or bad, and if enough people say the same thing, there is probably some validity to it and you can choose to use it to improve some deficiencies in your performances (eloquently stated by DonM), or you can choose to continue to live in denial.

Synthzone is certainly one of the kinder boards. The people here are generally reluctant to point out negatives in a performance, so when they do, you should probably sit up and take notice.

chas