Now you're talking John. Sadly, the younger generation do not seem to be that interested live music and attending music clubs, which I think is partly due to the amount of software available on the net which can, an does, make them sound real good.

Other contributing factors I think are the cost of instruments and the dwindling number of music teachers available not helped by the lack of music appreciation in the schools these days. Some schools I know don't even have music in the curriculum. Having said that, it isn't all 'doom & gloom' as we still have very talented self-taught/ear players who will always be around because their talent is a natural gift, of which I am very envious. Two of my brothers and my eldest daughter can play instantly, any piece of music they listen to, whereas I have to see the 'dots' first - Grrrrh! There is an upside to it though, as we all get older we tend to be forgetful, so at least I have the music sheet in front of me when this happens, whereas my ear-playing friends find it very embarrassing when they sometimes 'dry-up in the middle of a tune.

Ah well, we should be thankful with what we have and in view of the recent disaster in Japan we should all remember to count our blessings every day.

Audrey