Hello Roger wave

Thank you for what I guess is a somewhat 'Tongue in Cheek' invitation to organise your next little 'Convention' !!

Unknown to you, however is the fact that I have already successfully walked that road 4 years ago, when I had the idea of organising a 'Forum Meet' for one of the larger Yamaha Forums.
I organised and co-ordinated the Events, Accomodation, etc, and then was struck down and admitted to Hospital on the day before the weekend, by a Pulmonary Embolism (A Clot on my lungs).

It was a highly successful idea, and has carried on every year since the first 'Meet' and grown from the initial
meet of 30 Members plus their wives, to a twice-yearly event, with the last meeting being only last weekend at Skegness!! Members travel from USA, Croatia, Ireland, etc to attend.

I have never attended any of the meets, as in the same year as the initial Meet, I switched allegience from Yamaha to other organs and keyboards, after 35 years of supporting them.

I was aware of your 'Convention' as had seen pictures of your Members somewhere in a much larger size than that on the current Keyboard Kapers site.

Looking at both pictures, I am suddenly struck with the realisation that the majority (That means well over 50%) of keyboard enthusiasts (not necessarily performers), are all 'Old Farts' like myself. I would guess that the average age of members in both pictures, must be well over 60 !! My thoughts are - what will happen when all these 'Senior Citizens' have curled up their toes? Will there be a market for Arranger Keyboards any more? There is a desparate need for young and fresh blood into the hobby.

Sadly, even if the offer to a total stranger to organise your next 'Convention' was serious (Did you consult your Committee before you made it?), I would not be able to do it, due to my many and varied illnesses, not least for a musician my rapidly advancing Carpel Tunnel Syndrome (Repetetive Strain Injury - due to years of pounding piano keys!). Plus my moblity is seriously affected by a 'Glued' Spine, and Leg Ulcers. Hey! - my one remaining brain cell is still doing sterling work, and I whizz around my local area and shops on my electric buggy at an almost frightening 8 miles an hour!

As you are aware, Roger - I am in the early stages of setting up a Keyboard Tuition (Formal) centre, combined with a Players and Enthusiasts Club, here in this City. This is only possible for me, due to the fact that there is an almost completed Shopping Mall and Community Hub being built just a few paces from my front gate.

The local YMS (Yamaha Music School), where both my wife and I were Tutors, closed when the local Yamaha Dealer went 'Bump'. So I suspect there is still a need for formal tuition, as well as a Club.

I have approached the City Council as to hiring costs of one of the new Halls, and for an initially small group (but hopefully with growth, to become much bigger), the hourly cost is bordering on Astronomical (£10 an hour, for 2 -3 hours). I have now submitted a request to the Arts Council - officially backed by the City Council, for a years provisional funding.

Two interesting facts -
1. As an ordained Minister of Religion, I can have free use of a Hall for weekly religious services not exceeding 4 hours in total !!

2. (Right off topic, but useful knowledge for your mental database) - The Arts Council will fund the purchase of new Musical instruments with a 12 month interest free loan. It is means tested, and requires quite a lot of personal information.

There ends todays epistle. from

John

AKA

Tone Deaf