An all in one "P"ersonal "A"rranger/Workstation?

Well for an all in one you need 76 keys or better for the Piano parts, in my opinion, so maybe the Korg Pa2XPRO could fit the bill for you Michael. It is a high-end Arranger that has Workstation features and has 76 semi-weighted keys. The sounds are right up there with the best of them but the price is a little steep with a street price at around $3,699. Although, that price is actually less than the 61 key Tyros3.

If you purchased two separate keyboards i.e. one as arranger and one as the workstation you could end up paying way more than a single solution PA/Workstation such as the Korg Pa2XPRO.

Another 76 key all-in-one would be the Ketron Audya but it won't be released until next year sometime.

The Roland G70 has been mentioned but it's now getting long in the tooth (read: obsolete ) and lacks some essential and currently modern keyboard technologies such as USB 2.0, Audio/MIDI over USB, Sampler, etc. You can get them on the cheap though so you might want to consider it. It does have 76 pro action keys (NOT weighted or semi-weighted) but still a very good action and with Aftertouch too.

As far as third party support for Styles, Yamaha is certainly one of the best sources for those but you will be reduced to a "two" keyboard solution since the Tyros3/2 are all 61 key and Yamaha doesn't even make a mid-range 76 key arranger either. Plus also, the Tyros3 does NOT really have extensive pro workstation features. It is mainly marketed to Home Hobbyists and is considered a Home oriented keyboard i.e. = plastic outer shell, lackluster Drum Kits, NO "real" Sampler, only 61 keys, etc. But with a 4 Grand price tag (out the door with tax) you would think you'd be getting the Rolls Royce of PRO Arranger keyboards. Apparently not so.

Happy shopping on whatever you finally decide on getting Michael!

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 10-18-2008).]