Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
I'm surprised too, Fran. Most true geeks wouldn't have a keyboard five minutes, much less 16 months, before getting under the hood to "see what she'll do". So what were you too busy collecting SMF's? Glad you were able to shed some light on that one-finger-chord thing, though. It's good to be an expert in at least one area.

On the whole busines of sound design, there seems to be a divergence between the super techy and the super player. There are always exceptions, of course (Wendy Carlos), but in my experience, their interests and goals are usually completely different. There is the supergeek/tweaker who is always looking for the 'perfect' piano but when they finally find it, it rarely inspires them to produce a great piece of music with it. Just getting the sound is what turns them on.

There are so many variables in every thing related to music that it's impossible to say ANYTHING with any certainty. That's why all opinions are equally valid (except mine, which is usually somewhat superior).

chas

Chas, you missed my surprise!!!..It was not a case of me not getting under the hood....

As I mentioned in the past...I usually find out more about a keyboard in 3 days ..than most folks do..in 3 months...

The point that I was illustrating....was the way the synth tones were designed...via the G70's simple but effective tools...and how well they worked together....Not something that most folks would even consider looking at....

I gave careful listening to some of the synth tones..and thought ..to myself.. ..How is Roland getting this sweep..or pulse...So I searched to see if I missed any hidden parameters...nope...didn't miss anything...So I looked at the simple tone edit page...started to experiment using the vibrato and filters together...and Surprise...I was able to duplicate the effects that brought the synth tones to life...namely the movement of the tones...

Chas, I hope this helps you understand this tech geek a little more...