Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
One finger two finger, three finger, doesn't much matter if you are expressing your art in a way that connects with others and gives them a glimpse of you.

Dennis

What's the One Finger equivalent of a C+7(b9), Dennis?

That's what I'm talking about. If you can learn to get this with a OFS, you can learn how to voice a basic Maj or Min with more than one finger, too. And if you CAN'T play this with a OFS, what do you do if the song needs it?

If you only learn the shortcut, not the real chord, how do you learn what is an acceptable substitute? Most people that use the One Finger system haven't the slightest clue about what the chord IS, and what it DOES. It's just a rote system they learn, which generally obstructs any learning about what chords do what, and what can and can't be used as substitutes.

But the main thing they screw up is the ability to sit at anything other than an arranger, and be able to play. Don't get me wrong... I know some people aren't the slightest bit interested in learning anything. And we've ALL heard what those guys (and gals!) sound like. The same desire for a shortcut for the LH usually equates to a lazy RH, too...

But some people MIGHT want to consider what a dead end this is, and how badly learning some of these stupid systems will screw it up for them when they finally DO decide to try and progress and learn how to voice chords correctly. I know several people that have confessed it was MUCH harder for them to learn real chords, once they had learned a OFS. They all said they wished they'd never learned it, now...

I think we ALL have music going on in our heads that is JUST a bit harder to play than maybe our ability is right now... The trick is to not get locked into a system that will NEVER allow you to progress without going back and unlearning the whole thing.

JMO...