Thanks to everyone for the great input and feedback. It's interesting to read that there are other standing position players here who also need to utilize some kind of high stool for added support as I do. I agree that standing provides the best performance position for all the reasons listed above, but currently the only way I can stand (without feeling back strain from standing) is to take the high stool, yet I hate the hassle of having to drag yet another thing to a gig.

I'm convinced that my standing position back ache is caused by having to support my entire upper body with one foot while the other foot activates the sustain pedal. My doctor tells me that its this that's throwing my body (back) out of alignment and that I should instead be standing solidly & balanced with both feet on the floor.

Seeing now that others, like UD, are able to stand (without the need for a stool for added support) and who also utilize & play the sustain pedal alot as a traditional piano damper pedal, I'm now wondering if there's a trick (pedal positioning or some other standing position technique) which could be shared which might shed some light on your success. I really would like to LEAVE the stool at home.

Scott