Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
I actually feel BETTER standing. It provides the greatest vocal comfort, and allows me to move a little with the rhythm.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
"To me standing up as an entertainer, singer, musician gives me the needed stage presence to stay in charge of the audience. You can "Groove" better and for me play and Sing with better dynamics with less discomfort at the end of the affair. IMHO I agree, sitting is for "Concert Mode" and even then I still stand when I perform versus when I am in concert with people just sitting and listening versus dancing which is my forte`."
I am glued to the sustain pedal.
"I only use 2 pedals, sustain, voc harmony. I dont use sustain musch at all because my style of playing and voice layers allows me to sustain manualy versus with the pedal. I will use the sutain pedal more when using [elec piano, piano, guitar, vibes, etc, sparingly"...................................

Learning to use your hands for the fills was paramount for me in this standing position. I use only two pedals - sustain and harmonizer on/off. They are locked together and take up almost no space on the floor. The design of the pedals is such that they rest against the front of the keyboard stand leg (at the foot)and stay put all night with no extra help. The wires keep them in line and I never have to "fish for them".

"Triggering fills and all other KB functions are done Manualy, this gives me the greatest control over my playing, laptop access and on the fly split second changes."
Here are the biggest advantages:

1) visual (no contest here - it LOOKS better)
2) support - diphragm is free to contract and expand for better vocal control
3) space - it takes up less space to set up this way. VERY important sometimes (MOST times for me !)
4) cartage - no need to schlep a bench
5) mobility - allows me to move with the music .... keeps me "in the moment"
6) doubling - allows me to hang my guitar without readjusting position. Like Nigel, I sometimes leave my guitar (a Parker Fly .... under 5lbs !)on my body as I play the keys. Makes for a better switch between instruments.
"I strongly agree with all the above numbered statements."

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-02-2003).]