Scott,

I don't play professionally (really nothing more than a rank amateur) but I was wondering if you just couldn't compromise. I have seen some advertisements for a seat that can be adjusted to a position that looks like one can be in a semi-seated/standing position. It adjusts up a rail and goes higher than a bench to almost a standing position. This might give you the height presence and still allow you to be somewhat seated. There is also a back available for it. I think it's made by Quiklok. This might ease the strain on your back enough to make you feel better when playing. Another thing, you might try is a better pair of shoes. I believe there are men's shoes that are made along the lines of nurses shoes(orthopedic shoes); because they spend a lot of time on their feet and need better shoes, shoe manufactures keep improving the designs. These shoes apparently ease up the back strain. My ex-wife was a nurse with a bad back and loved these shoes. I just thought these ideas might help. I've learned so much from your posts that I hope I can give a little in return. Good luck with your back and thanks for all of the great music and information you share.

Peter