SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15 >
Topic Options
#145357 - 08/21/07 09:14 PM those who complain about keyboard weight
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Squeak,

Like Squeak said...he didn't want to hijack the Tyros 2 posting and neither did I.

He's not wrong with this thing about those who are allergic to too much keyboard "weight." I'll use the word myself......they are "whiners!" The music is about entertaining an audience and not about sending a keyboard to Weight Watchers so you can haul it around town without a tow truck! If you have to put it on wheels and add a gear box to it and DRIVE it to the gig, well then that's what you have to do.

His recollections of the gig's from H__l brought back a flood of my own memories. At my peak, I was gigging (party events) carrying a total of 18 cases by myself. And that was before Rock 'n Roll carts arrived on the scene to help move everything! Most of these cases were full size. I was playing three keyboards MIDI'd together. Then you had the whole sound system (two big speakers, head, microphone cases), the odds & ends case, the processor rack, the USS stand setup right and left, etc. My best time for setup was 50 minutes. But you know what? I didn't mind it because the sound I got was incredible and I loved making people happy, listening and dancing to good music. The setting up/tearing down routine was secondary...the audience came first.

Someone on a gig said it all. I was tired one night as I was packing up and mentioned it to one of the waitresses. She replied: "Would you rather be driving a taxi cab in NYC?" Ever since she said that, I remind myself of that remark when I start feeling "my equipment is too heavy!"

Yes, the Tyros probably IS too heavy if you're used to gigging with a harmonica. Those of us who played through those years get a big laugh out of the "weight" freaks. The new technology did fantastic things with the music, but unfortunately it also made a lot of "wimps" and "whiners!"

Please.....only those who went through what we did back in those days are allowed to flame this letter. The rest of you need to pay your dues first!

#145358 - 08/21/07 10:18 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Beakybird Offline

I hear you Mark! Look, it could be worse, we could be drummers here - or tuba players.

On the other hand, look at it this way. Why inconvenience yourself when you don't have to?

Another thing is this: I want to be doing this gigging into my retirement age. I can see packing up a keyboard like a PSR-S900 and two JBL Eon10 G2's when I'm 65. I cannot see packing up a Fender Rhodes and a PA system when I am that age. Add to the equation that I am 140lbs - albeit very healthy, but no Adonis.

I think that the Tyros 2 is a very reasonable weight, but when you're doing 500 + gigs, the PSR-S900 might be a better choice - especially if you are setting up monitors every time.

I think that if you are doing fewer - higher paying gigs - like this fellow on SZ I was talking to who is very busy doing 2hr. children shows at $600 a pop, if I were in his shoes, I would definitely get two Tyros' instead of two PSR-S900s.

Beakybird

#145359 - 08/21/07 10:56 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Makes me wonder why Arnold kept pumpin' weights his whole life. it certainly didn't make him any weaker.

Granted that I no longer gig but when I did I had to lug an organ. I helped the drummer with his gear and he helped me carry the organ. The guitar and bass player always complained about having a sore back. Go figure.

So, if you think a keyboard is too heavy for you, don't buy it. Get a lighter one. I just don't understand why it's necessary to make it an issue for no amount of complaining is going to change anything.

As for myself, I only care what I get in voices and styles. Weight is the least of my worries.

Taike

#145360 - 08/22/07 04:33 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
I helped the drummer with his gear and he helped me carry the organ. The guitar and bass player always complained about having a sore back. Go figure.

Taike

Uncanny. I worked with that very same drummer and guitarist .

chas

#145361 - 08/22/07 05:39 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
It's not so much the weight, but the design and weight combined that causes the complaints, IMO. I have a keyboard amp that weighs more than my G70, but because it's almost square it's much easier to lift and carry. My Mackie 808s is heavy and I cringe every time I have to carry it; why, because it only has one handle.
I don't have any experience with the T2, but it does seem deep and maybe a little bulky. Maybe that is the reason for the complaints. ???
As for complaints in general - these are the boards we are working with, so we complain about and praise them - big deal! When I was younger and stronger I sent back a PC88 because of its weight but today I gladly haul around my G70 - go figure.

We bitch because we can - get over it.

#145362 - 08/22/07 06:21 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Quote: Mark79100
He's not wrong with this thing about those who are allergic to too much keyboard "weight." I'll use the word myself......they are "whiners!" The music is about entertaining an audience and not about sending a keyboard to Weight Watchers so you can haul it around town without a tow truck! If you have to put it on wheels and add a gear box to it and DRIVE it to the gig, well then that's what you have to do.

Please.....only those who went through what we did back in those days are allowed to flame this letter. The rest of you need to pay your dues first!
------------------------------
Top marks for your selfish, uncaring & insulting attitude Mark
I DID go through it in those days - I also carried an organ about on a regular basis, gigging at pubs & clubs. I also live in a very hilly area with lots of gradients & steps to cope with so a cart would be of no use. I was however, extremely fit, having worked out with weights most of my life together with running, cycling & swimming.

I'm now 67 and despite loving my keyboard & music just as much as I ever did, I suffer from Sciatica & Arthritis. As a result, the weight of a keyboard is a VERY important consideration to me.
Im not a whiner - just a guy who still loves to play and likes to entertain the oldies (for no fee) at a sheltered housing complex - would you prefer I pack it in and not be allowed to have my views, just to keep you happy.

What's wrong with some of the SZ contributors (like you) who think everyone should hold the same views as you. We are all entitled to our own preferences, whether it be a keyboard weighing X pounds or less, or from whichever manufacturer we favour, and to state our views on the Forum just as you do.
Grow up, and be thankful for your good health - it might deteriorate to the level of your thinking processes.
Unlike you, I won't stipulate who's allowed to answer my posting too - I believe in free speech.

#145363 - 08/22/07 06:50 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'm surprised at your narrow-mindedness, Mark, and, just to let you know that I've paid my dues...I used a B3 with two Leslies for many years with the addition of Rhodes, and several polysynths.

As far as I can tell, nobody has been whining about weight...we all want lighter gear, unless we are masochistic...every one has just been expressing their cares and concerns about it.

The "flamer" in this thread is YOU...calling people names like "whiner" is not a sign of maturity in my opinion.

You talk like you're a road warrior...why not act like one?

Ian

#145364 - 08/22/07 08:53 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Taike Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Uncanny. I worked with that very same drummer and guitarist .

chas

Small world, isn't it, Chas?

#145365 - 08/22/07 11:02 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I played a Hammond with an external Leslie for years. Here in Michigan during the winter months you'd have to go outside and hook up the trailer, drive to the job, sometimes shovel the walk yourself so you can roll the organ in on the dolly, then hoist it on the stage, go out and get the Leslie and do it all over again. At the end of the job reverse everything except maybe the shoveling. It was sooo much work you never brought your equipment into the house. You left it outside in the trailer from 0 to 90 degrees.

Now if the keyboard is 50 pounds so what? I'm not counting those of you with health problems.

My friend just got a pair of Peavey PR series speakers with a 15' speaker and a horn. They weigh less than 20 pounds a piece and they sound great. He also got a Yamaha head that is 350 watts a side and it weighs about 8 pounds. I do really like lighter but I'm not going to complain about 50 pounds or less.

Tom

Tom

#145366 - 08/22/07 11:48 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Been moving an MS-60 with speakers and internal amps (40 plus lbs, I think) to 5 plus jobs a week for years. I too played a B-3 and Rhodes (still do 3-4 jobs a month), but mostly for house jobs-6 nights. I often thought I should have gotten at least one SM-50
(same instrument without speakers and amps) for some of the jobs.

Now, I'm about to use a G-70 and SH-201 on most jobs, with some adding an XB-2 and GW-7.

It's a little harder (an age thing) but still well worth it, in my opinion. Of course, it helps to have a son who plays bass in the group and set up equipment for a OMB 2nd job in one day. He's young and strong, and feels sorry for the old man.

"Gramps" Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 08-22-2007).]

#145367 - 08/22/07 01:40 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think the response isn't about simply weight-watchers, but it comes from hearing those that DO choose lightweight keyboards CLAIM that it comes with no penalty... Basically, as if to say that those of us that DO appreciate a good 76 note keybed, high build quality and TOTL features have no idea what we are talking about...

I am the first to say that, if you need light weight, for WHATEVER reason, go ahead, best of luck, mate! I am pretty sure that by the time I get into my sixties (got another ten to go!), I may have to use lightweight equipment myself. But there is no way I will try to tell anyone else that, just because it is MY choice, it MUST be the best way! I will look enviously at other player's rigs, with nice big actions, and wish I could still lug one around

There is a reason that you don't see the majority of pros on TV or in Vegas, etc., playing one 61 note ultra-light workstation. It is NOT because they can afford to play anything they want to, it is because they need a keyboard they can play ANYTHING on, from full piano parts, to multiple splits and run the whole show with midi. 88's are the norm, then 76's, and most of the time you see a 61, it is because they have more than one keyboard in the rig (which kind of defeats the whole point)

Now SOME of them get cartage (but fewer than you would expect), but to most pros, the one area they CAN'T cut corners on is their rig. If they get a call for a piano part, they daren't show up with a 61, no matter HOW good the sound.

My arranger gets used for everything from standard arranger gigs, all the way up to full band calls and session work. It replaces two keyboards and a module or two (for full band gigs), and so is MUCH lighter than previous full band rigs. It replaces, from WAY back in the day, a van full of Hammonds, Rhodes's, Wurli's, Yamaha's and the like.

But, apart from the B3 section (and what IS a reasonable replacement for one of those to a diehard Hammond fan? ), it performs as well as all the other stuff, at a fraction of the weight. But to my ears and fingers, this is the lightest it CAN go at the current time without me noticing a REAL drop-off in quality.

I have always said, as soon as they bring something out BETTER that is lighter, I will get it in a flash. As long as it doesn't bounce around while I play it because it is TOO light! But the MINUTE it involves any compromise with the key-action or sound, sorry, got to pass...

Until I'm too feeble to move it around...

#145368 - 08/22/07 02:06 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The only statement I can make, which I sincerely believe is relevent, is Don't Get Old. When I was young that PSR-5700 seemed fairly light, and hefting that 107-pound amp from the van to the refrigerator dolly was just part of a days work. And, those 105-pound speakers, what the hell, they sounded good. When you reach the ripe old age of 67 and perform one to two jobs daily, plus drive 40 to 75 miles between jobs in grid-lock traffic, lighter keyboards, regardless of the number of keys, is much better. In fact, anyone that hauls heavier equipment around, just because he or she thinks is better, is an idiot. If you sincerely believe that lugging that heavier crap around makes you a better performer/musician/entertainer you're living in the dark ages. Nobody gives a damned if your keyboard has 76 keys, 61 keys, 88 keys, of 200 keys. Your audiences could care less if your speakers are 10-inch, 15-inch, 20-inch or 36-inch--they just want to be entertained. This entire topic is utterly ridiculous. What the hell am I doing here? I'm going to mix up a good margaretta, prop my feet up, hope for good weather and go sailing.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#145369 - 08/22/07 02:33 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
The only statement I can make, which I sincerely believe is relevent, is Don't Get Old. When I was young that PSR-5700 seemed fairly light, and hefting that 107-pound amp from the van to the refrigerator dolly was just part of a days work. And, those 105-pound speakers, what the hell, they sounded good. When you reach the ripe old age of 67 and perform one to two jobs daily, plus drive 40 to 75 miles between jobs in grid-lock traffic, lighter keyboards, regardless of the number of keys, is much better. In fact, anyone that hauls heavier equipment around, just because he or she thinks is better, is an idiot. If you sincerely believe that lugging that heavier crap around makes you a better performer/musician/entertainer you're living in the dark ages. Nobody gives a damned if your keyboard has 76 keys, 61 keys, 88 keys, of 200 keys. Your audiences could care less if your speakers are 10-inch, 15-inch, 20-inch or 36-inch--they just want to be entertained. This entire topic is utterly ridiculous. What the hell am I doing here? I'm going to mix up a good margaretta, prop my feet up, hope for good weather and go sailing.

Cheers,

Gary

But what if the heavier equipment IS better? I mean, no-one is playing balsa wood pianos (but they gotta be lighter!).

Not ALL heavy gear is better, but not ALL lighter equipment is either...

Liberace could have entertained a crowd on a kazoo. This, I guess, makes him a moron for using a piano? The list of top pros that use 88 key equipment is pretty much ALL of them. Idiots all, apparently.

Some of us play for the people that CAN tell the difference. Others, it seems, prefer an audience that CAN'T. You are welcome to them They will soon be all that is left, once you show an audience that you think they don't give a damn about anything but 'entertainment'. Better get your chicken hat warmed up!

Age and health, as I said, were VERY valid reasons for using less than the best because it is lighter. I think you just proved my point. Now, you kids.... GET OFF MY LAWN

#145370 - 08/22/07 02:48 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Diki, don't go overboard on this topic. You yourself say that if you can get a better and lighter keyboard you'd buy it. That's what we're all saying. BUT, there soetimes have to be choices and compromises.

For years I did the Hammond/Leslie thing too, but it was too heavy for ME. Then I kept the Leslie and tried other keyboards and soon the Leslie was gone too - weight? My 3-way Toas gave way to two-way Mackies. My PC88 became an XP50 - always striving for something better and lighter. I dropped my DC5 and VR760 for one G70 - always striving.

Weight can be and is an issue for many. Let it be an issue for THEM. The original complaint was about the Tyros2 - not heavy but awkward. Gee, what are we arguing and getting hot under the collar about? If someone wants to take a B3 and a 122 to three jobs a day let them do it. If someone else wants to take a PSR E403 and a mini-amp to one job a month, let them do it.

Don't worry, be happy

#145371 - 08/22/07 03:21 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Diki, don't go overboard on this topic. You yourself say that if you can get a better and lighter keyboard you'd buy it. That's what we're all saying.

No, cassp, this is what Gary is saying..

Quote:
anyone that hauls heavier equipment around, just because he or she thinks is better, is an IDIOT. If you sincerely believe that lugging that heavier crap around makes you a better performer/musician/entertainer you're living in the dark ages. Nobody gives a damned if your keyboard has 76 keys, 61 keys, 88 keys, of 200 keys

It's not that we mind lugging the extra weight, it's that we mind being called idiots for doing so, when, to all but the blind and close-minded, there IS an appreciable difference between mid-line and TOTL equipment.

It's probably the same reaction Gary would have if someone heckled him for hauling around that PSR and speakers, when he could have entertained just as well with a Melodica! It IS, after all, much lighter... The audience doesn't give a damn if it has 61 keys or 15... Do they?

I am not lugging around heavier equipment because I THINK it makes me sound better. I am hauling it around because I KNOW it makes me sound better. Excuse me for wanting that....

#145372 - 08/22/07 03:37 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
If you sincerely believe that lugging that heavier crap around makes you a better performer/musician/entertainer you're living in the dark ages.

Gary

How right you are, Gary.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#145373 - 08/22/07 04:11 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I'm begining to think a lot of people prefer to argue about keyboard brand/model preferences (my kb's better than yours), etc, because they find it easier than actually dedicating the work & time required to improve their kb chops & arranger playing skills. If you own a relatively current keyboard now, simply appreciate what you got and share actual arranger 'music making' tips which benefit all arranger players. You'll be amazed how much keyboard improvement you'll notice if the amount of time spent improving one's keyboard skills replaces the time spent posting on this forum promoting the mine's better than yours attitudes. I think it far more productive to share (tips/tricks) on improving arranger keyboard playing technique and also hearing more actual 'arranger keyboard' mode music performed here.

That said, I definitely appreciate having a light compact keyboard to afford convenient gig transport.

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-22-2007).]

#145374 - 08/22/07 04:53 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
I'm begining to think a lot of people prefer to argue about keyboard brand/model preferences (my kb's better than yours), etc, because they find it easier than actually dedicating the work & time required to improve their kb chops & arranger playing skills. If you own a relatively current keyboard now, simply appreciate what you got and share actual arranger 'music making' tips which benefit all arranger players. You'll be amazed how much keyboard improvement you'll notice if the amount of time spent improving one's keyboard skills replaces the time spent posting on this forum promoting the mine's better than yours attitudes. I think it far more productive to share (tips/tricks) on improving arranger keyboard playing technique and also hearing more actual 'arranger keyboard' mode music performed here.

That said, I definitely appreciate having a light compact keyboard to afford convenient gig transport.

- Scott

DITTO!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#145375 - 08/22/07 04:59 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
pianodano Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
How right you are, Gary.

Ian

Yeah, but does it rock ?? What about longevity ? Will it hold up to 2 or 3 roadies ? Can it be restored? Or is it a throw away ?

Interestingly enough, I just restored my 1956 C3 (sn 60786)and 74 147. IT (they) were on the road from the time I bought them in the spring of 1974 until 1986. Prior to that the organ was in a church since built.

Moved it totally by myself for 2 years. Not a problem. Never, ever stopped once. I did have to replace the lower rotor belt, once. House entertainer in the same place for the better part of 4 years - Mostly, 7 nights a week. Never failed to start during all those years. Always rocked. I have both of them in my living room now and they are both even more atonishingly beautiful now than the day they were made. And, play and sound amazing. Imagine that at 51 years old (the organ, not me) I'm older. Wife won't let me move it to the studio. She makes me use the XK3 there.

I can't imagine I'll be able to do the same with my Tyros in about 33 years. But who know's ?

Danny

PS: I working on the Rhodes now.

[This message has been edited by pianodano (edited 08-22-2007).]

#145376 - 08/22/07 05:13 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Can't say I miss my B3 and Leslies (or my Rhodes)...but some people love retro gear like some people like old cars...as the saying goes "they don't make 'em like they used to".

Then again, sometimes that's a good thing.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#145377 - 08/22/07 05:18 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

Quote:
This entire topic is utterly ridiculous. What the hell am I doing here? I'm going to mix up a good margarita, prop my feet up, hope for good weather and go sailing.

Cheers,Gary

Now that's a man who is making sense!!!!...great post Gary!!!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-22-2007).]

#145378 - 08/22/07 05:20 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

Cant we just get along?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-22-2007).]

#145379 - 08/22/07 05:26 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

Quote:

- Scott

Scott asking to share music, demos, ro anything that pertains to listening to any body's work ....is a "RED" area and leads to massive arguments....I should know

#145380 - 08/22/07 05:37 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
ve a damn about anything but 'entertainment'. Better get your chicken hat warmed up!

Don't be fooled my friends ....
That Chicken hat has made mucho bucks $$$$$$$ thru the years!!!
http://www.chickenhats.com/Chickenhats.htm

#145381 - 08/22/07 06:04 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

Don't be fooled my friends ....
That Chicken hat has made mucho bucks $$$$$$$ thru the years!!!

Donny, I guess it could be said that you are poultry in motion.

Ian

#145382 - 08/22/07 06:06 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

.......at the right gig it makes all the difference believe me!

#145383 - 08/22/07 06:09 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
pianodano Offline

Quote:
Can't say I miss my B3 and Leslies (or my Rhodes)...but some people love retro gear like some people like old cars...as the saying goes "they don't make 'em like they used to".

Then again, sometimes that's a good thing.

Ian

The point I was making was, it's the memories. Well over half of my life. I am glad I kept my stuff all these years. I am also glad it was built by people that cared enough about what they where building to tell the bean counters to take a hike.

Danny

#145384 - 08/22/07 06:19 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pianodano:
I am also glad it was built by people that cared enough about what they where building to tell the bean counters to take a hike.

Danny

No bean counters in 1956?

Get serious.

Laurens Hammond was that cheap he used to turn off the stove burner whilst flipping the bacon.

Memories are like the rear view mirror in a car...spend too much time looking in it and you lose sight of the road ahead.

Every time I think about lugging that big old B3 it makes me want to hug my S900.

Ian

------------------

#145385 - 08/22/07 07:22 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
pianodano Offline

Quote:
No bean counters in 1956?

Get serious.

Laurens Hammond was that cheap he used to turn off the stove burner whilst flipping the bacon.

Ian

Is that so. How about that.

Danny

#145386 - 08/22/07 08:51 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
when i was young i carried a bari sax, tenor sax, and bass clarinet on my person in heavy cases through airports, on subways, up stairs,etc. I paid my dues for that. 2 hernias..

a couple of operations and decades later I carry only an alto sax and an Eb sopranino (2/3 the size of a soprano). whenever i think i can get by with just the sopranino i leave the alto home. Funny, i sound a lot better
than i did back in the day, not because of equipment but
because the years have made me a better player.

better equipment is a marginal utility, and everyone has
to make their own cost/benefit analysis where better
equipment means better sound... because better sound
means Caruso or Satchmo sound better on a CD thru a killer stereo than they do on a spool on an old victrola. But Caruso/Armstrong arguably sound better on an old victrola than most of today's stars on a CD thru a killer stereo.

That is why most of don't purchase a $10, 000 stereo
system, or even a $5,000 one even if we can afford it,
unless we are filthy rich, because we consider it marginal utility. it's just not doing THAT much more for us than a decent $1500 system. When those of us that set a limit
on how much weight we are willing to lug around for
the additional sonar benefit (presuming there is one, which is another argument--some don't think so) we are
assessing the marginal utility, and acting accordingly.

Improving our musical and performance skills makes
us sound better on lesser equipment than having stagnant
skills on better equipment. this is a nice way of saying
that a great musician will sound better on a $500 psr
with any decent sound system loud enough for the gig,
than a mediocre musician will sound on a G70 or T2 with
the best sound system money can buy. Sure the great musician will sound even better on the upgrade..but it's
a marginal utility that has to be judged by him alone..
after all if you hear Caruso or Louis now on an old victrola they will still send chills up your spine. would you pay
$100 and travel 100 miles to hear their record thru a Bose? sure it will sound better..but......you get the idea.

Lee Trevino used to hustle good country club golfers who could afford the best equipment--he'd play them with
a coke bottle attached to a broomstick, and still beat them. I'm not in his comparative league.

I'm no Lee Trevino of the keyboard. i can't give a concert
on a $300 casio and a little keyboard amp and make it work. But i can kick some ass with my E60 and a decent keyboard amp. I'm not about to shlep around a G70
and a big sound system, just to sound marginally better while I'm kicking it..but i'm not knocking those who do.
au contraire, I admire those who do..just not those who
look down on others who don't..

those oldtimers who are complaining about whiners (gee-
sure sounds like that's a whine too, no?) you remind me
of the Billy Chrystal /Christopher Guest characters
on SNL back in the day.."hey, when we were young it was better..if you cut your finger, there was no antiseptic, it would get infected and they would have to amputate it..
and we liked it that way.."yeah, right...and we had no can
opener so we stuck in a knife and twisted it..and it might
pop out and take out your eye..but we liked it that way...

hey, remember before suitcases had wheels? did you like
it better that way? were the guys who put wheels on them
"whiners?"

------------------
Miami Mo

#145387 - 08/22/07 08:53 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Mark79100 Offline

Scottyee....that's a real nice post you wrote. One of the best I've seen on these boards. I wonder how many of the folks this applies to will read what you wrote and think about it. Or will they go back to their old ways (as some have exhibited here) to:
always attack a poster who desires to express an opinion that you don't like
always ignore the MEANING of any message that rubs you the wrong way
always spend every free minute talking about the specs on the latest keyboard rather than PRACTICE

Scottyee's posting:

#145388 - 08/22/07 08:57 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

Its good to have Scott Yee's voice of reason back on the SZ....its refreshing!

#145389 - 08/22/07 08:59 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Scottyee Offline

#145390 - 08/22/07 09:07 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Diki Offline

Quote:
I definitely appreciate having a light compact keyboard to afford convenient gig transport.

Me too... Just my light, compact keyboard is a little heavier and bigger than yours. But it is STILL amazingly light and compact compared to what I was using, even a decade or so ago...

I still shake my head at how doggedly some refuse to actually quote my words (or others' that they don't agree with) and substitute them for their own. No-one is saying that heavier is better, We are just saying better is better, and at the moment, weight is the penalty for being better.

I don't pick my equipment with regard for it's weight... I simply pick it for it's functionality and sound. If weight is the penalty, I am prepared to pay it.

But saying one must be an idiot to play heavy equipment is as insulting as saying one must be an idiot to play less than the best arranger available. You have made that choice, for weight's sake, and good for you... I am not calling anyone an idiot for making that decision. Just stop calling me an idiot for making MY personal choice.

"Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance". Or the lack of it...

Quality and performance equals quality and performance. Nothing more, nothing less. When I can get equal quality and performance from a lighter keyboard than my G70, I will buy it. Not less, for less weight. EQUAL for less weight.

#145391 - 08/23/07 05:14 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
zuki Offline

Scott, well said

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#145392 - 08/23/07 05:29 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Good post Scott...makes a lot of sense.

Ian

------------------

#145393 - 08/23/07 11:40 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Diki Offline

Strange, of course, that the ones actually agreeing with Scott are those who post incessantly here at SZ, rather than practicing... And, of course, by posting, rather than practicing (as he recommends), they are actually showing they DISAGREE with him, in a way...

But if Scott ever moves to a 76-er, will they STILL agree with his sentiments (which actually, apart from the last sentence, had NOTHING to do with keyboard weight)? You'd better keep agreeing with them, Scott, or they will misquote, mislabel and misrepresent everything you write...
---------------------------------------------
Common mistake.... repeating the same old line over and over makes it any more correct. Don't be fooled.

#145394 - 08/23/07 11:47 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

------------------
Roland, Korg and Yamaha too...will we ever get a chord sequencer from you?

#145395 - 08/23/07 12:47 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight

Bigger...better...heavier...there's no clear winner here. I would be one of the "idiots", because I wouldn't get caught dead playing anything with a "PSR" in the model number. I won't play assisted living or nursing home jobs. I play my old MS-60's or my G-70, usually with a 2nd keyboard, because I think they SOUND better. And, that's what matters.

To those who play lightweight instruments at mostly retirement/nursing home functions, KNOCK YOURSELF OUT! Make lots of money. Be happy! I'll be happy for you! And I won't judge. We each have the right to "do it our way" as long as we do the best we can, keep learning, feel good about what we do and get paid to do it.

Do what's right for you, because that's what really matters.

Russ

#145396 - 08/23/07 01:42 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

Glad you woke up on the RIGHT side of the bed today Russ great post very heartfelt bro

#145397 - 08/23/07 01:50 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
I would be one of the "idiots", because I wouldn't get caught dead playing anything with a "PSR" in the model number.
Russ

You could always hide the model number with gaffer tape.

Ian

------------------

#145398 - 08/23/07 01:57 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Diki Offline

Can't hide that crappy action, though...
Common misconception... A PSR demonstrator is ever going to tell you anything unbiased. Don't be fooled.

#145399 - 08/23/07 02:03 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

It's crappy to you...so what?

To these fingers, it's pure joy!

And you're unbiased?

Ian

------------------

#145400 - 08/23/07 02:56 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
miden Offline

Loc: The World
and ian, with your connections to yamaha, you're NOT!!!????

#145401 - 08/23/07 03:06 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
and ian, with your connections to yamaha, you're NOT!!!????

You're right Miden...I am biased and proud of it.

Ian

------------------

#145402 - 08/23/07 03:51 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Scottyee Offline

Quote:

Here we go again ! Diki. you're most certainly entitled to express your opinion, but I suspect your 'choice of words' was used to merely take a jab at Yamaha S900 owners. Afterall, there are far many more courteous ways you could have expressed the SAME thing, and which would have earned you far more respect as well, especially keeping in mind that some of your (fellow?) sz forum members just laid out their hard earned cash on a S900, and perhaps quite content with the keyfeel. I'm the first one here to appreciate reading the wide diversity of opinion here, but just think more courtesy and respect to our fellow members is in order. Just my opinion of course.

Scott

#145403 - 08/23/07 04:08 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Beakybird Offline

I have to say, amidst all of the heartache I am having with the defects on the two PSR-S900's I got, that I am having so much fun playing this keyboard, and I am getting such a great response from my audiences.

This keyboard gets great sound, it's light, and I am just loving to play it.

Beakybird

#145404 - 08/23/07 04:11 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:

This keyboard gets great sound, it's light, and I am just loving to play it.

Scott

#145405 - 08/23/07 04:54 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
pianodano Offline

Quote:

Personally, I'm lovin the action on my Motif XS. Eh hmmm. Just a thought. I wonder why they can't put a nice action like that on the top of the line arrangers? To heavy ??

Note to self: check back often.

Danny

[This message has been edited by pianodano (edited 08-23-2007).]

#145406 - 08/23/07 04:54 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Scott,

It's essential that you take Diki's antagonist remarks with a grain of salt...I actually find them rather amusing, sort of like watching a child blow bubbles.

Ian

------------------

#145407 - 08/23/07 05:05 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
sort of like watching a child blow bubbles.

like this?

#145408 - 08/23/07 05:08 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Yep...that's about right.

Ian

------------------

#145409 - 08/23/07 06:09 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
miden Offline

Loc: The World
@ ian...and fair enough too!!

#145410 - 08/23/07 06:48 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Strange, of course, that the ones actually agreeing with Scott are those who post incessantly here at SZ, rather than practicing...

By the cringe!! Quite the assumption there, mate. The all-knowing, all-seeing Diki strikes again. You must have incredible powers of sight and hearing to know that everyone who agrees with Scott and posts here apparently does nothing else.

Powers that are worthy of changing your handle to SuperDik, I'd say.

He's everywhere! He's everywhere!

A laugh a minute folks.

#145411 - 08/23/07 09:20 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Mark79100 Offline

Gee.....all I did was blow off steam one night with this message and now I find myself tied for the all-time Synthzone "reply" record. One more (which is this one) will put me at 54...one more than "rikkisbears" & 3 more than "squeaks" posting!" Do I get a free Tyros if it reaches 60?

#145412 - 08/23/07 09:51 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

what?? we've had 200 posts on a thread in the past

#145413 - 08/24/07 04:43 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Afterall, there are far many more courteous ways you could have expressed the SAME thing, and which would have earned you far more respect as well,
Scott

Personally, I find all this righteous indignation and holier-than-thou lectures, just a little annoying. Besides, Diki is right on point and accurate 95% of the time (the 5% being when he disagrees with me ). Okay, so he can be somewhat brittle at times but you can't let that cloud the message. Just ignore those parts that are clearly biased and opinionated (such as any and all references to the G70 ).

In any case, if I'm trying to learn something OR be amused, i'd rather read one of Diki's posts than the "sermon of the day". Besides, "I don't need no stinkin' practice", I peaked 30 years ago and never got any better.

chas

#145414 - 08/24/07 05:17 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
. Okay, so he can be somewhat brittle at times but you can't let that cloud the message.

Perhaps you can let "brittle" slip by, Chas, but I can't...and it certainly does cloud the message as far as I'm concerned.

Digging through a pile of horse manure just to find a few oats seems like a waste of time to me.

Ian

------------------

#145415 - 08/24/07 05:25 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
cgiles Offline

Quote:

Digging through a pile of horse manure just to find a few oats seems like a waste of time to me.

Ian

You're probably right, Ian. I mean, how tasty are those oats going to be, anyway?

chas

#145416 - 08/24/07 05:35 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
You're probably right, Ian. I mean, how tasty are those oats going to be, anyway?

chas

I guess we'll have to wait till some very brave and patient soul reports back with a culinary review.

Ian

------------------

#145417 - 08/24/07 07:40 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
keysvocalssax Offline

nobody- to my knowledge -has been as ticked off at Diki's arrogance-some toward me personally- and has said so as much as I have. (not counting those silly g70/t2 feuds i read)but he does have a sharp mind as well as a sharp tongue, and has as much or more to offer us as anyone i have read here--and i'm more than willing to hang in there with him- on sz, information and expertise and the willingness to offer help and advice are much more important than anything else..all the other stuff is petty..and all the "nice guy" posing i see here all the time, giving each other moral support, etc.. is just so boring--like a bunch of lonelyhearts looking for love. I'm here to learn and to offer help in return, and i couldn't care less about "nice", "polite", etc. I've been insulted here by several members, and while I'm human and feel the barbs personally, i don't complain about it, I don't quit, i don't carry on feuds and grudges. I'll take one obnoxious-at-times Diki over 80% of the rest of the sz crew because he's right on 80% of the time.

------------------
Miami Mo

#145418 - 08/24/07 07:58 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Here's the way I see it...if you can't handle a dig, then top it; if you can't top it, laugh it off; and if you can't laugh it off, it's probably deserved.

Ian

------------------

#145419 - 08/24/07 08:22 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
...but he does have a sharp mind as well as a sharp tongue....

A great assessment of Diki.....which is why I like him. The same could be said for Sir Winston Churchill, Oscar Wilde, Mark Twain, Noel Coward, Bette Davis, Yogi Berra, ...okay, scratch Yogi for the "sharp mind" part, and a host of others that we generally admire. The thing is, you have to look at the total package.

BTW, Mo. I'd love to hear some of your sax work. For those with access to decent recording equipment, I think we (all) should consider a collaboration. This CAN be complex, though, so i'll put it up in a seperate post.

chas

#145420 - 08/24/07 01:26 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Mark79100 Offline

"what?? we've had 200 posts on a thread in the past"

200 posts!!!!!!!!! Was the poster selling $10 bills for $5?

A few of you have mentioned exchanging notes about playing music (as compared to talking about the equipment). I've seen this in other groups also. Can anyone tell my WHY no one talks about "playing" as in playing technique, songs they are working on, how they're going about it, ideas to play certain songs (in certain ways), etc?

I've posted in other groups, and I find that everyone is very conversational and willing to share information until they find out I'm a professional. That brings email interaction to an immediate halt. I used to take it personal until I started thinking that everyone talks up a storm about how much expertise they have until they find they're talking to someone who DOES have expertise. I say this not egotistically, but factually.

Anyone else experience this? I, myself, would like to exchange notes on playing. I still work on improving every day and practice 2-5 hours daily on the keyboard. The equipment posts are secondary for me.

#145421 - 08/24/07 01:42 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark79100:
I, myself, would like to exchange notes on playing. I still work on improving every day and practice 2-5 hours daily on the keyboard. The equipment posts are secondary for me.

Wow, finally another sz member who shares my interest. Mark: please email me. My email address link is provided on my website's "contact" page: http://scottyee.com

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-24-2007).]

#145422 - 08/24/07 01:42 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

Quote:
"what?? we've had 200 posts on a thread in the past"

200 posts!!!!!!!!! Was the poster selling $10 bills for $5?

There have been very heated discussions in the past...before the "Big Bail-out"
I cant remember the topic of the particular thread...but maybe with a search you can see the # of posts? in the last 2 years or so.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-24-2007).]

#145423 - 08/24/07 02:18 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Quite frankly, I don't think I've ever seen any discussions about playing technique or arranger playing tips on SZ (with the exception of Scott)....seems to be all about gear.

It is nice to see people interested in learning more about the trade rather than just the tools.

Ian

------------------

#145424 - 08/24/07 03:07 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
Quite frankly, I don't think I've ever seen any discussions about playing technique or arranger playing tips on SZ (with the exception of Scott)....seems to be all about gear.

It is nice to see people interested in learning more about the trade rather than just the tools.

Ian

Ian,
discussions about the "trade" are common on Fora like the Keyboard Corner (at Musicplayer.com), where people talk about reharmonizations, chord substitutions, etc
and I have to admit that the level of the discussion is most of times WAY above my head, but at least I am stimulated to learn something new...

Anyway, even on Fora whose members are 95% amateurs, it's very common to exchange ideas about the best style to use for a specific song, and this is the "amateurial equivalent" of the discussion that goes on at Keyboard Corner.
Here at SZ, on the other hand, the discussion is focused mainly on the gear we use, but I have to say that unfortunately almost 80% of the opinions given are preconceived and this makes almost useless whatever advice one could receive.

We all know that there is not a thing like a perfect keyboard and so the most sensible thing to say, when giving advice, would be: "My keyboard is good at doing this, but unfortunately is lackind under this other respect".
Talking continuously about the superiority of a brand and denying what other brands can offer is pointless and also useless for the novices that come here seeking advice.
Unfortunately, this behavior has almost become a conditioned reflex, so everytime the forumite "X" writes "I am 100% happy with my Tyros 2" the forumite "Y" replies that the Tyros 2 is a plastic toy and real professionals have only one choice: a Roland G-something.
At that point the forumite X feels offended in his honour and replies something in a bitter tone and the discussion becomes quickly heated.

...Ah, I almost forget that, in the meantime, another forumite keeps repeating in the background that the keyboard you play has no relevance, because what the audience really wants is to be entertained and -to that effect- you could as well play a kazoo or do some kind of funny dance.

Does all this ring a few bells?

Now you all tell me: why should anyone take this Forum seriously?

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 08-24-2007).]

#145425 - 08/24/07 03:26 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Your post makes sense to me, Dreamer, and you're so right about this forum being a difficult place to take seriously.

I have directed several of my clients, and a few reps as well, to this site, and they were not impressed...and they did not return.

I have been in several heated discussions on this site, and no one comes away the winner...there are always hurt feelings and egos.

I enjoy sharp wit but not when it becomes a weapon to offend, or to make a person feel that they were dumb to make a certain purchase or to use a certain piece of equipment.

Someone smart enough to have quick wit should also be smart enough to know how to be courteous and civil.

I am a member of several other forums and have rarely experienced the "gear wars" that take place here.

As I said in an earlier post...it's a shame to have to wade through all the crap just to find a few insightful and helpful tips.

That being said, I do enjoy coming here to see who is bickering...lately it's just become amusing to me, especially after experiencing a near death experience a few months ago...it certainly put my priorities in order.

Ian

------------------

#145426 - 08/24/07 04:25 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
everytime the forumite "X" writes "I am 100% happy with my Tyros 2" the forumite "Y" replies that the Tyros 2 is a plastic toy and real professionals have only one choice: a Roland G-something. At that point the forumite X feels offended in his honour and replies something in a bitter tone and the discussion becomes quickly heated....Ah, I almost forget that, in the meantime, another forumite keeps repeating in the background that the keyboard you play has no relevance, because what the audience really wants is to be entertained and -to that effect- you could as well play a kazoo or do some kind of funny dance. Does all this ring a few bells?

Andrea (Dreamer): I assume names were withheld to protect both the innocent & guilty parties.

Interesting that though this forum is titled the "General Arranger Keyboard" forum, rarely has there been any interest in discussing or sharing arranger keyboard "playing" techniques, or even members actually posting arranger keyboard music played & recorded by them either. This always baffled me because I thought that a true musician desired to continually improve their musicianship & playing skill no matter what age or level currently at, and I had hoped this forum to be an inspirational catylst and exchange of ideas to achieve this. After reading this . . .

Quote:
posted by cgiles 08-24-2007:
"I don't need no stinkin' practice", I peaked 30 years ago and never got any better.-chas

it confirms what I suspected for a while now, that a many here share Cgiles's view as well, and the reason I now only drop in here occasionally to discuss non- music related matters.

Scott

#145427 - 08/24/07 04:33 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
pianodano Offline

Well, it is called Synthzone. And this subforum is called the general arranger forum.

I have been a member here for quite a few years myself - going back to before the forum lost it's datasbase (as I recall)some years ago and required re-registering. Evidently, files can't be uploaded and myself, as someone that has worked with computers for over 30 years, I can't even figure out how to upload a picture. Really all you can do is dicuss instruments, imo.

But also this forum becomes too much like Gearslutz forum at times, what with the mfgr reps and salesmen that hang out here.
But at least on Gearslutz, when a mfgr or salesperson starts trashing someone elses product, that person is severely taken to task and will be suspended by the moderators. AND all salespeople and mfgr reps must state as much in their signature.

I have noticed over the years that the above mentioned types make it difficult to have any real discussion because the threads nearly always get sabotaged.

Such as, several posts back I very seriously asked "why can't Yamaha put a nice keybed on the top of the line arrangers"? Since this thread pertains to weight, could it possibly be that much of a weight issue? If that is what people say, I don't believe it. I will admit that my Motif XS seems to weigh little more that my Tyros, but it cost less and it is built like a tank which will probably last for years and years and, it has a delightful action. Full size keys also.

Or perhaps they (the mfgrs) have just written the arranger instruments off as just NOT top shelf.

I can't help but wonder if threads like this one are what sabotages any requests for a more substanstially built arranger.

Danny

[This message has been edited by pianodano (edited 08-24-2007).]

#145428 - 08/24/07 05:10 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Yamaha music is comprised of different divisions...digital pianos, synths, arrangers...etc.

These division actually compete with one another and often are reluctant to share sound-sets, keyboard actions, and many other features.

Sometimes a division uses a new technology to "test the waters" before it gets passed around to the others as witnessed with the Super Art. voices

I work as a demonstrator for Yamaha, and as a part of my job, I get to try keyboards from other manufacturers and compare...I do not diss the other's products outright, but I do discover things that don't appeal to me such as excess weight, inferior sounds, poor OS or poor workmanship...I also get to appreciate their good features as well.

I work for Yamaha by choice...they are the best in my opinion, and I want to be associated with the best...it's that simple.

I had been putting my job title in my profile, but it was used as a means to attck me several times, so I removed it...it's back again now.

BTW, the new Motifs are using the FSX action that was first introduced in the Tyros2.

Some people like to keep their gear for a long time...I like to trade up every 2-3 years to take advantage of the latest technology...especially in the arranger area.

Works for me, but not for everybody.

Ian

------------------

#145429 - 08/24/07 05:26 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
pianodano Offline

Quote:

I had been putting my job title in my profile, but it was used as a means to attck me several times, so I removed it...it's back again now.

WELL, ATTACKING YOU WAS UNCALLED FOR. ALWAYS A PLEASURE TO CHAT WITH YOU.

BTW, the new Motifs are using the FSX action that was first introduced in the Tyros2.

INTERSTING. BUT AS YOU ARE PROBABLY AWARE, TYROS (1) KINDA SHOWED ME ALL I NEEDED TO KNOW ABOUT THAT LINE OF INSTRUMENTS.

Some people like to keep their gear for a long time...I like to trade up every 2-3 years to take advantage of the latest technology...especially in the arranger area.

Works for me, but not for everybody.

Ian

VERY TRUE. I DECIDED TO INVEST IN SOFT SYNTHS. HOPEFULLY, THEY (YAHAMA) WILL SOON PUT OUT A OPEN ARCHITECHURE INSTURMENT SO
"WE" CAN BE THE ONES TO DECIDE WHAT SOUNDS WE USE. IF THEY DON"T, THEY WILL REGRET IT, IMHO.

Sorry Ian for appearing to yell with the caps, but I can't figure out how to multiquote here either. I am sure this post will be hard to deciper.

Danny

[This message has been edited by pianodano (edited 08-24-2007).]

#145430 - 08/24/07 05:41 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Danny,

To do a quote thingy, just click on the far right icon above the posters message...it's in the same place as the profile.

I found the keyboard action of the original Tyros to be only as good as the ones in the low end PSRs...and not any where near the quality it should have been.

The Tyros2 corrected that...thankfully.

Yep, I agree...having a choice of sound-sets would be great...whether it'll see the light of day in Yamaha arrangers first is questionable...probably will debut in synthesizers.

Ian

------------------

#145431 - 08/24/07 06:36 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
cgiles Offline

Quote:
it confirms what I suspected for a while now, that a many here share Cgiles's view as well, and the reason I now only drop in here occasionally to discuss non- music related matters.

Scott

Really, Scott? 'cause I could have sworn it was to admonish us on our practice and posting habits. As far as practice is concerned, I believe that's a PERSONAL decision for most of us; besides, clearly SOME need it more than others..... know what I mean .

For the record, I PLAY 2-3 hours a day, although probably only 20% could be construed as formal practice. Since I'm retired, this still leaves me plenty of time to respond to your post.

chas

#145432 - 08/24/07 06:40 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Mmmmm....If practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, why practice?
Ian

------------------

#145433 - 08/24/07 07:06 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Taike Offline

So why not practice pumpin' some iron?

It's difficult for me to believe that a healthy man, complains about having to lift 30 to 50 lbs. Why not take a look at ourselves and only then decide who's to blame. I'm almost 50 and I can lift more now then ever before. Or is it that I prefer to keep myself in shape?

And I find it extremely silly to complain about weight when there's "tons" of light gear out there. So get yourself a light keyboard and that's the end of the story.

I prefer a solidly built keyboard so that's what, if I like the voices and styles, I go for. And what if I can't find what I like out there? Well, I simply go for the next best solution. And do it all without complaining.

It's all too easy for me to agree with Mark. What's the big deal of him making his point. I agree with Chas as well. No matter how hard I try not too. Chas and Russ, the voices of reason.

As for what brand or model you play...I could care less. I judge the one playing it, not the brand or model.

Get in shape! Not an insult but a life saver. Sending a Richard Simmons tape would be an insult. Your loved ones willl love you more for it and you'll get to love them longer.JMHO

Taike

#145434 - 08/24/07 07:11 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Taike, I like lighter gear because I'm naturally very lazy.

I do stay in shape with martial arts, but, for everything else, I try to find the path of least resistance.

Hardest part of being lazy was getting over the guilt...that took all of 5 minutes.

Ian the Indolent

------------------

#145435 - 08/24/07 07:17 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Taike, I like lighter gear because I'm naturally very lazy.

I do stay in shape with martial arts, but, for everything else, I try to find the path of least resistance.

Hardest part of being lazy was getting over the guilt...that took all of 5 minutes.

Ian the Indolent

Hard to fault his logic .

chas

#145436 - 08/24/07 08:18 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I must be out of touch with reality as it exists today.
the only thing I used to carry to the gigs was my arrangement folder because I was playing piano. I often doubled on Trumpet and that was out in the car if I needed it.
NOW DAYS, I am 76 and I carry either a tyros 2 with a separate sound system or my G 70. I also pack along a PAIR of Peavey KB 100's that I think are about 75 pounds each with only one handle
I just pack them out to the motorhome, stow them in the basement and away we go. somehow I just don't understand all these previous posts in this thread. It was interesting reading but makes no sense to me. Maybe I am just too old to understand or even give a shXt
I do what I do because I want to. those that want to listen to me do so because they want to
Best to all,
Bebop

#145437 - 08/24/07 08:26 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
posted by cgiles:
"I don't need no stinkin' practice", I peaked 30 years ago and never got any better.-chas

Quote:
reply by Scottyee:

Quote:
posted by cgiles:
I could have sworn it (above reply) was to admonish us on our practice and posting habits.

Nope, my above 'reply' was merely in response to what I purported a statement made in sincere on your part. It's not my business, and I don't care whether you (or anyone else here practices), but your statement gave me the distinct impression you (and perhaps a number of others here) have no interest in what happens to be one of the primary reasons I like to frequent arranger forums: to exchange arranger keyboard playing techniques & performance tips, and to hear other arranger keyboard player's produced music. That said, good to hear now that you still actually enjoy playing 2-3 hours a day.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-24-2007).]

#145438 - 08/25/07 05:16 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
to the genesys Offline

One thing to remember if we were to talk more about arranger playing technique is that arranger playing technique is dependant on the brand and type of arranger one has.

Because when one tells of how he plays with his arranger, he would use features that are specific to his arranger.
One may talk about how he revoices a style on the fly to go from one song to the next using the same style. on his TOTL arranger. But that feature may not be available on a midrange arranger. So you may get a my own is better than yours argument.

Also when one is playing a 76 key arranger, he can do much more than one who plays a 61 key arranger and that would cause a big argument.

And even if we were to have these discussions, most of the players are concerned with entertaining rather than giving a good musical performance.

And posting music is a no no here because if a poster, with the intent of demonstrating a function or use of an arranger, get severely criticized for his playing or singing or sounds used, would feel bad and not want to post again. People do not want to take the demo post for what the poster intended it to do. They attack the posters ability and of course that poster has a very big ego.

#145439 - 08/25/07 05:35 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
most of the players are concerned with entertaining rather than giving a good musical performance.

I agreed with everything you said except the above comment.

A combination performance/superb musical performance is what the audience wants

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#145440 - 08/25/07 06:57 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

Quote:
One thing to remember if we were to talk more about arranger playing technique is that arranger playing technique is dependant on the brand and type of arranger one has.

Because when one tells of how he plays with his arranger, he would use features that are specific to his arranger.
One may talk about how he revoices a style on the fly to go from one song to the next using the same style. on his TOTL arranger. But that feature may not be available on a midrange arranger. So you may get a my own is better than yours argument.

Also when one is playing a 76 key arranger, he can do much more than one who plays a 61 key arranger and that would cause a big argument.

And even if we were to have these discussions, most of the players are concerned with entertaining rather than giving a good musical performance.

And posting music is a no no here because if a poster, with the intent of demonstrating a function or use of an arranger, get severely criticized for his playing or singing or sounds used, would feel bad and not want to post again. People do not want to take the demo post for what the poster intended it to do. They attack the posters ability and of course that poster has a very big ego.

Sad BUT Very true......great post!

#145441 - 08/25/07 09:04 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
arranger playing technique is dependant on the brand and type of arranger one has.

Genesys, though I agree with what you're saying to a point, there are also playing techniques & features which are unique to yet universal to most all arranger brands & models :

intro, variation, fill, ending, start, stop buttons
auto-accomp styles
voices
left-right hand voice parts
user stored registration Setups
right hand melodic & soloing ideas
acoustic instrument emulation techniques
transitioning between variations
creative ways to to add fills & breaks
muting & adding auto-accomp parts
chord voicing & voice leading
arranger mode: pitch & modulation wheel techniques

Quote:

Because when one tells of how he plays with his arranger, he would use features that are specific to his arranger...So you may get a my own is better than yours argument.

I think it's merely the put down TONE used (ei: so and so's keyboard is: "crap", "piece of junk", etc that are precipitating the wars. Every keyboard brand & model has unique features to appreciate & showcase, and and I think this to be a wonderful opportunity for members to showcase them, either in their music, or describing how they are utilized when they perform. This kind of thing might even convince me to consider purchasing that brand/model next time.

Quote:

when one is playing a 76 key arranger, he can do much more than one who plays a 61 key arranger and that would cause a big argument.

It shouldn't. I think this would be a terrfic opportunity for 76 note keyboard players to SHOWCASE the advantages with an arranger mode song utilizing 76 keys. Afterall, confucious say: "a picture (song) is worth more than a thousand words".

Quote:

I think both qualities (both musicianship & entertainer skill) can be appreciated on their own merits, or together.

Quote:
if a poster, with the intent of demonstrating a function or use of an arranger, get severely criticized for his playing or singing or sounds used, would feel bad and not want to post again.

Perhaps, but this problem lies in the fact that this forum lacks an active moderator (as other forums have) able to put out fires early enough on. That said, this situation could be completely avoided if people merely display common courtesy and respect towards fellow members. "Can" this happen? yes. Will it happen? It's anyone's bet.

Scott

#145442 - 08/25/07 09:18 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

Scott great post and ideas...but sadly this whole technique demoesqueish sharing scenario is a smoke screen to a previous Bombarded request for demos which in reality to share "How You Do it" falls into the same category.....Yes we would love this to all work, Yes learning from each other in a perfect world seems feasible,but its still a VERY PERSONAL thing in How we all play .... Yes with all the Video opportunities such as You Tube, Skype, Camfrog we can have a great learning experience between players in that we can all learn from each others way of doing it, Yes scott it all makes sense on paper or in theory....BUT will it happen....not likely.
Although in a smaller get together maybe 1 or 2 people in a P2P type of session on one of the programs mentioned above it could be super beneficial....I would suggest that you Video tape your technique lesson & then you can share with with whom ever you like online.....or although more difficult set up a time to do a group lesson online via camfrog/skype etc etc ...try a technique a week and see what happens......
a video is worth a thousand words.

#145443 - 08/25/07 03:42 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Diki Offline

If you have to ASK for a demo to understand why 76 is better than 61, well, like the jazzer said... 'You'll NEVER get it".

There's a reason pianos have 88 notes. Most piano players will even poo-poo using 76, and they'll definitely diss you for using plastic... Are you saying you've never heard a piano player?

As I pointed out earlier, UNLESS you use arranger mode 100% of the time (and even then, 61 restricts you if you choose to split the keyboard into three parts), you will run across musical situations that need more than 61 notes. I play a lot of LH bass, and I love keyboards that start at low E, perfect for bass parts (I'm not the biggest fan of 5-string basses!). I play piano (and electric piano - need 73 for that!) with a lot of bands (and a lot of SMFs!)... What is more to the point is, how often can you get away with LESS than 76 without compromise?

Of course failure to admit that you are making ANY compromise is the root cause of the whole thread. I am compromising about weight (don't REALLY want to hump 45 lbs if I can help it!), I'll admit that any day, but Scott actually ASKING to hear examples of stuff using a 76 as if he has no idea what it could be used for... that's just denial!

None of today's arrangers are designed to be used strictly as arrangers, or else, why the sequencer? Why the MP3 players, why workstation functions at all?

The minute you acknowledge any use of an arranger beyond simple LH chords, RH solo voice, you have to acknowledge the usefulness of extended range in the keyboard. Whether you choose to get an arranger with this extended range is often a function of, firstly, does your choice of arranger manufacturer even MAKE a 76?

I definitely laugh when I hear die-hard Yamaha users defend 61 keys. They HAVE TO. They have NO choice. If Yamaha DID make a nice 76 S900, I am sure at least a few of them would choose one, if not many, especially if they took the Ketron model and placed the bender above the lower keys so it didn't actually have a much bigger footprint that a T2. Until you actually DO have a choice, it is somewhat immaterial to defend your choice. You actually had none to make...

And choosing to play an acknowledged inferior keyboard action is a financial and practical decision, Ian, but it isn't a MUSICAL decision. Perhaps I am an idiot for putting that first and foremost, but what can I say? I just have different priorities than some...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 08-25-2007).]

#145444 - 08/25/07 04:37 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
If you have to ASK for a demo to understand why 76 is better than 61, well, ... "You'll NEVER get it". Scott actually ASKING to hear example of stuff using a 76 as if he has no idea what it could be used for... that's just denial!

Diki, calm DOWN & rel-a-x dude!

Reality check time. It's obvious you don't READ my postings very carefully. I NEVER ever ONCE claimed that 76 notes isn't better than 61. Here's exactly what I wrote:

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee 08-22-2007:
I certainly can appreciate the desire for 76 (or better yet 88) keys when playing solo piano , but 61 notes suits me quite fine for strictly ARRANGER MODE playing. Auto accompaniment mode style playing is a totally different style of playing than solo piano. With split point set at F#2, I have 1-1/2 octaves for triggering & voicing full chords with smooth voice leading, in LH, yet still have 3-1/2 octaves for RH melody playing & soloing, of which is only a mere 1/2 octave less than I've got on my Steinway Grand Piano from middle C to the top of the keyboard (high C). For the occasional solo piano style playing songs I do in a night, I'm able to live with 61 keys for the convenience of the smaller form factor & lighter weight keyboard (sorry to have to bring up that sore topic again ) 61 keys offers. If and when I want to dedicate an evening of solo piano performance, I've got the added FLEXIBILITY to add my Roland A33 76 controller and midi it to my Tyros2 KB.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee 08-22-2007:
I think this would be a terrfic opportunity for 76 note keyboard players to SHOWCASE the advantages with an ARRANGER MODE song utilizing 76 keys.

As you can clearly see, I was specifically referring to "arranger mode" playing. I NEVER denied the benefits of 76 keys in solo keyboard playing. That said, I would LOVE the opportunity to appreciate the benefits (in an ARRANGER MODE performed song) which utilizes the full range of 76 keys, as I'm sure there are some songs which would benefit having this.

In conclusion: YES of course, if I had a choice, I certainly would prefer 76 vs 61 keys for the flexibility of being able to play in traditional pianistic style, and better yet, have the kb also include: fully weighted 'hammer action' keys to actually play the way you can on a piano, as even semi weighted keys doesn't allow for truly playing in a pianistic style. That said, to benefit having a far lighter & compact keyboard, I'm finding 61 keys quite acceptable, with the added "flexibility" of midi-ing up my Roland A33 76 note controller when desired.

Diki: It's obvious your priorities different than mine, so nothing less than 76 keys will do for you and I respect that.

If Yamaha ever comes out with a 76 note arranger which can fit in a similar sized case as T2, and not substantially heavier, I will be first on board to buy it, and this is exactly what I advocated & pressed for to Yamaha in my paid consultations with them. What they end up deciding to do is up to them, not me.

Ok Diki, have you calmed down yet?

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-25-2007).]

#145445 - 08/25/07 05:08 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:

And choosing to play an acknowledged inferior keyboard action is a financial and practical decision, Ian, but it isn't a MUSICAL decision. Perhaps I am an idiot for putting that first and foremost, but what can I say? I just have different priorities than some...

Diki, you are really getting more articulate with your insults...first "crappy" now "inferior".

I don't ask you to justify your reasons for using whatever keyboard suits you...why do you think it's any of your business about my choices?

I do find your posts interesting and informative, and I think you do contribute much to this forum, but please cut the insults...don't lower yourself to "flamer" status...it is very unbecoming and I know you're capable of much better.

All the best,

Ian

#145446 - 08/25/07 06:20 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
If you have to ASK for a demo to understand why 76 is better than 61, well, like the jazzer said... 'You'll NEVER get it".

**HOGWASH. Personal preference, that's all. In the right hands, 5 octaves is plenty

Quote:
None of today's arrangers are designed to be used strictly as arrangers, or else, why the sequencer? Why the MP3 players

** Tools, baby. Tools. Use 'em all !
Technique isn't enough for ANYONE. Never was. Guys have always relied on effects, special modifications, mic techiques etc to get the most out of a performance.
Arrangers, Sequences, MP3 files ..... they all belong in your tool belt at every gig. There - happy? I said the "G" word ! hee hee ....

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 08-25-2007).]

#145447 - 08/25/07 07:54 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Diki Offline

Look guys, the only thing getting insulted (if that's the right term, really, for a less than perfect technical evaluation) are the arrangers... No-one is critiquing anybody's playing. Just the gear we use.

Anybody who knows me and my posts knows I am the first to call Roland on any bonehead OS decisions, or physical controller issues, or even sounds. No Roland 'defender' I... I am not, nor ever have ganged up on Yamaha. I think they make great arrangers, the S900 is a breakthrough at it's price point, and there are MANY things about the OS that I would LOVE to see Roland incorporate. This has ALWAYS been my position.

But.... at the S900's price point, many, if not ALL workstations have FAR better actions, and a choice of size keyboard. Not to mention most other arranger manufacturers, too. Yamaha's insistence on restricting themselves to decidedly inferior actions until you get to their $4000 TOTL arranger is very shortsighted, if not to say arrogant. 'Take it, or leave it' seems to be the arranger division's mantra.

This, despite their workstation division having exactly the opposite priorities. A lot of user input went into the design for the MotifXS series, and a better action was one of the things mentioned. Plus, of course, EVERY size keyboard need is catered to. Why is this so difficult for the arranger division to achieve?

Scott's post (after he had calmed down!) basically proves my point... If Yamaha DID make a 76 arranger, he would very likely get one. Once the hackles have dropped down from the thought of ANY possible change, how many more Yamaha users are prepared to say they would be willing to try, and possibly use a 76 Yamaha..?

Quite a few, from reading the many posts on this and similar threads...

Ian.... The very fact that you mention the T2 action, and it's being used in the MotifXS, shows you are aware that there ARE better actions in Yamaha arrangers. You REALLY need to stop biting my head off for pointing this out. Maybe you could come up with a word for 'inferior' that signifies that one thing is not as good as another, and I will use it happily, just to keep the peace. But so far, it seems as if you are unwilling to brook ANY acknowledgment of the fact that, compared to just about ANY workstation, and MOST arrangers (of at least comparable price), the actions on PSRs are decidedly '..........' (insert your own choice of words for inferior).

And 'my keyboard, right or wrong' is an attitude that doesn't really engender much respect. If you aren't prepared to say that there is anything to criticize at all on a PSR (a mid-line model), well, that makes you sound an awful lot more like a paid promoter than someone actually seeking the truth.

Once again, I reiterate (God knows how many times I got to keep saying this ) this doesn't mean I think YOU should change arrangers. Play anything you want. Play any way you want. I don't care, never have.

But PLEASE, trying to dissuade the many, MANY of us here at SZ that have posted about how (insert your choice of word for crappy, inferior, toy-like) the action is on what is quite an expensive keyboard, even by other arranger standards (yet alone workstation standards), is actually you insulting US, not the other way round!

#145448 - 08/25/07 08:12 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Gee, Diki, it's not the end of the world...you must slow down a little...take a break...have a cuppa tea.

I choose my gear because I like it...no hidden Yamaha promotion stuff, no secret agenda.

I happen to like the action of the PSR-900 more than the Tyros2's action...so sue me.

You like your keyboard's qualities, I like mine...why not just live and let live?

I'm a professional player...I know what suits me...I like a light fast action and I like a 5 octave keyboard...it's perfect for me.

If what I use doesn't agree with you, or you think it has an inferior action to some other keyboard, that's okay....no big deal.

Now, please....no more bubbles.

Ian

#145449 - 08/25/07 08:42 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Now, please....no more bubbles.

a SPECIAL animated GREETING Card for Diki: CLICK HERE !

#145450 - 08/25/07 10:06 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

Scott Isn't That SPECIAL!!!!

#145451 - 08/26/07 01:01 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
You can go on about things you want on a board as much as you want, HOME users are NOT interested in them, and Arranger keyboards are designed solely for the HOME user.
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#145452 - 08/26/07 03:32 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
You can go on about things you want on a board as much as you want, HOME users are NOT interested in them, and Arranger keyboards are designed solely for the HOME user.
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

Correctomondo, Bill...the average home user would find this forum a bit daunting.

I had a new client check it out...a home user he is, and unfortunately he got here just when the racist thingy with Squeak was going on, and a few other skirmishes were taking place.

He told me he was very disappointed with the forum, and did not plan to join, or even return, for that matter.

I wonder how often potential new members are discouraged from joining the forum because of these types of issues?

Ian

#145453 - 08/26/07 04:18 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Arranger keyboards are designed solely for the HOME user.

Bill

Don't know if I'd use the word 'solely', mainly because they're starting to show up in places like KEYBOARD magazine (expensive advertising and aimed squarely at the pro market) and I don't believe the average home user reads or subscribes to those.

chas

#145454 - 08/26/07 04:18 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
welcome back to the forum Scott

has anything changed? LOL

#145455 - 08/26/07 04:53 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Keith W. Bailey Offline

Loc: New Castle Indiana USA
When I was 26, I did not even think of keyboard weight, and later when I got a keyboard I didn't even ask how heavy it was, but now that I am 73, You better beleive I want to know the weight! I still gig, and I want it to be as easy as possible!

If I quit gigging, then I will get whatever keyboard ,regardless of size or weight! It matters to me right now!

#145456 - 08/26/07 07:43 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

Keith what type of sound amplification are you using on gigs?

#145457 - 08/26/07 08:21 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Mark79100 Offline

Bill,

You need to look at what Roland did to their "arrangers"...the G-70, the E series to see that this is not so. They are aiming at the professional "workstation" market because they know the average person has no desire whatever to address the learning curve on new (non-arranger) keyboards.

Everyone, everywhere takes the "easy" approach to everything. Personally, I don't blame them as I haven't bought a keyboard in years for that reason. Not by choice, but by necessity. I don't have the time to sit and learn a whole new product operating system (Ketron being the worst for that).

And then there's the never-ending "learning" situation. Look at what's happening with Windows. Just when you finally get comfortable with XP, Vista comes out and the whole cycle starts again. For what? The end result is basically the same, except that you can get from A to Z a half second faster!

Getting back on track, "arrangers" may be "designed for the home user" but are played more and more by professionals! Particularly those who are caught up with and trying to survive the "system" in this very modern and complex world we have today.

Mark

Quote:
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#145458 - 08/26/07 12:37 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Diki Offline

PSRs are designed for the home user, but lo and behold! A lot of pro's use them.

Roland Korg and Ketron TOTL arrangers are designed for pros, but lo and behold! A lot of home users play them...

Doesn't seem like ANYONE is paying any attention to how these things are SUPPOSED to be used...

No offense, Mark, but the S900's OS is no less complicated, no more geared towards a 'home' user (apparently, someone unwilling to crack a manual) than any G70 or SD1+... As they continue to slather new features willy nilly over 'home' arrangers, that have little use or purpose for the player unwilling or unable to fathom their intricacies, they blur the line between 'pro' and 'home' to the point of invisibility.

A LOT of this interminable thread has been about the fact that, basically, stick a decent action on an S900, and offer it with a 76, too, and you have as 'pro' a keyboard as any offered by the supposedly 'pro' manufacturers.

Short of the sub-$500 dollar offerings, they are ALL 'pro' keyboards, at least as far as complexity. But Yamaha are the only ones that insist on putting 'home' actions on 'pro' arrangers. If you basically have to spend $4000 before you can get a Yamaha arranger with an action as good as a $1500 workstation, well, firstly you have to realize that cost of the key-bed is NOT what is preventing this...

Aside from Ian, is there anyone here that actually PREFERS the PSR key-bed to anything else in a similar price point...?

#145459 - 08/26/07 01:27 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:

As they continue to slather new features willy nilly over 'home' arrangers, that have little use or purpose for the player unwilling or unable to fathom their intricacies, they blur the line between 'pro' and 'home' to the point of invisibility.

...?

And this is a bad thing? More features at the same or less price?

Please don't insult the intelligence of "home users", Diki....in my experience as a clinician, they are very capable of working their way around these new keyboards.

I say "slather away"...we can all benefit from more features.

Ian

#145460 - 08/26/07 01:48 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
zuki Offline

Quote:
Aside from Ian, is there anyone here that actually PREFERS the PSR key-bed to anything else in a similar price point...?

Yes, I do. I love the action on the 3K. It suits my playing fine, since I'm an organist by training.

zuki

#145461 - 08/26/07 02:18 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
abacus Offline

And to really put the cat among the pigeons
http://www.jazzhooves.com/index.html

#145462 - 08/26/07 02:28 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
cgiles Offline

Quote:

I was with him until I got to the end....

" Luckilly I still have a Wersi which creates that thrill each time I sit down and play it. "

chas

#145463 - 08/26/07 02:31 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:

The guy says..."Instruments like the Yamaha EL90, HX1 and dare I even say AR100 required skill and ability to play them."

Yes, but they are HEAVY.

The poor guy is still in the dark ages.

Ian

#145464 - 08/26/07 05:57 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
pianodano Offline

The road is long - with many a winding turn,
that leads to who - knows where, who knows where ?
x
x
x
x
x

#145465 - 08/26/07 06:27 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Stephenm52 Offline

My 2 cents and maybe a bit of a different approach to the discussion. Some of you know that I own both the the Roland G70 and the Yamaha Tyros 2. I'm a part time mediocre musician at best, at times it's more the technology of the keyboard than anything that keeps my interest. That being said, I sometimes have this illusion that using one brand of keyboard vs. another will get me more gigs. WRONG and I know that intellectually, but sometimes reading the hype and opinions here I get fired up and before you know it, I sell a PSR 3000, then purchase a Tyros 2 before you know it there's a G70 sitting in my home studio. Still have a few gigs a month and have bookings into 2008, but nearly as busy as I'd like to be. (and I'm working all the time to change that)

I gotta say I love both the G70 and the T2. Thought I'd sell the T2 and keep the G70, then thought I'd sell the G70 and keep the T2. As of today I'm keeping both.

I did a Ben Franklin balance sheet weighing the pros and cons of each keyboard Each keyboard pretty much came in with tie scores when listing pros and cons. To further assist in making a decision as to which to sell or not sell, I recently recorded samples of 6 songs, each recorded once on the T2 and once on the G70. One of the tunes was recorded 3 times, once on the T2, once on G70 and once using a G70 style converted for use on the T2. I really didn't want a musician who plays an arranger give an opinion because of the obvious bias and their knowledge of what keyboards. I didn't exactly work out that way and to date 5 people 2 who play arrangers and 3 not in the music business have listened to the samples without knowing which keyboard(a 6th person who I'm waiting to hear back from will let me know what they think sounded better later this week). But out of the the 3 non musicians who were asked what sample they like better the voting was close, but the G70 won out by just by a very slight margin. I'm placing a little more weight on non musician opinions because they imho are more representative of an audience.

Bottom line as said here many times " play what makes you and your audiences happy."

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 08-26-2007).]

#145466 - 08/26/07 07:45 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

I'm not surprised at the results the G70 is an awesome unit.

#145467 - 08/26/07 08:05 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Wouldn't you agree the test was slightly biased towards the Roland?

You used a Roland style in the Yamaha, which did not allow the T2 to showcase it's Mega voices.

Why wasn't a Yamaha style used in both instruments?

It is amazing, however, to see how close these instruments compare.

Thanks for sharing.

Ian

#145468 - 08/26/07 08:49 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Scottyee Offline

I predict the WINNING keyboard will certainly be the (or one of) the keyboards owned. No one wants to feel like they made the wrong purchase decision, especially after having spent BIG bucks and after the 30 day exchange policy expired.

Back to the keyboard weight thing. In spite of the 'never ending' snits (I fear this is quickly becoming known as the SNIT ZONE ) made by certain members, calling one keyboard: 'crap', another a 'piece of plastic junk', another too heavy, another too light, etc . . .

Fact is: all arrangers now a-days have the capability of sounding terrific in the RIGHT hands. It's up to us to put in the time (dues) required practicing to master your keyboard and make it sound the best it can.

I'm first to acknowledge that it's interesting & informative to know the pro's & con's of each brand/model, and perhaps fun to speculate the subsequent future offerings, but I'm also convinced that there's a huge 'over fixation' by certain members, continually comparing + wanting to predict what the next KB will be, despite facts not known yet, and suspect it may be simply an excuse (crutch?) to avoid discovering & mastering the full potential of the keyboard already owned. Am I wrong?

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-26-2007).]

#145469 - 08/26/07 08:58 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

Scott nice observations ....but I sometimes think its more that people think a new model KB will make them sound better ....rather then the PLAYER making themselves sound better

#145470 - 08/26/07 09:12 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
keysvocalssax Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee: I predict the WINNING keyboard will certainly be the (or one of) the keyboards owned. No one wants to feel like they made the wrong purchase decision, especially after having spent BIG bucks
this certainly seems to be the case, except for one (i guess he'd have to considered perverse) dude named Miami Mo--who always finds things to knock re the KB's he buys-- seems he's proud to be saying: "mine's WORSE than yours" LOL

------------------
Miami Mo

#145471 - 08/26/07 10:30 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Mark79100 Offline

Scott wrote:

"but I'm also convinced that there's a huge 'over fixation' by certain members, continually comparing + wanting to predict what the next KB will be, despite facts not known yet, and suspect it may be simply an excuse (crutch?) to avoid discovering & mastering the full potential of the keyboard already owned. Am I wrong?"

Mark speaking: It seems that Scott is the only one to figure this out. Either that or everyone else knows it but it's not to be discussed out of political correctness.

The reason it bothers ME so much is that I live in a musically isolated part of town (that town being the United States). The language spoken around here is money (as in "show me the money!"). There is very little concern over artistic creativity for financial or altruistic reasons. There is just about zero sharing of musical ideas among musicians here. Everyone plays their cards close to their chest!

How many of you feel that a room specifically set up and designated for those who want to discuss creative "ideas" rather than the latest equipment would be appreciated and useful? I, personally, would welcome input from others. I'd also like to share what I'VE learned in years of entertaining on stage.

#145472 - 08/26/07 11:03 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
There is just about zero sharing of musical ideas among musicians here.

How many of you feel that a room specifically set up and designated for those who want to discuss creative "ideas" rather than the latest equipment would be appreciated and useful? I'd also like to share what I'VE learned in years of entertaining on stage.

Hi Mark, as I replied to you earlier in this thread (page 2), I too share your desire in discussing arranger keyboard playing techniques, and exchanging creative music making ideas. It will be interesting to discover how many others here actually share our interest as well. Only this will determine whether a new sub-forum dedicated to actual arranger keyboard 'music-making discussion' will be worth adding.

Mark: Interestingly enough I sent an email to you to the email address you provided in your SZ profile:
bobsmith@temporaryinbox.com , but never heard back from you. Is this your current correct address? If you want to contact me, a link to my email address is included on my website "Contact" Page.

Scott

Scott Yee Entertainment

#145473 - 08/27/07 12:00 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
abacus Offline

Quote:
[B]Roland Korg and Ketron TOTL arrangers are designed for pros, but lo and behold! A lot of home users play them...
B]

Hi Diki
If Korg, Roland, and Ketron did design their TOTL arrangers for the gigging/studio musician, then they made the biggest mistake ever, this is because if you ask any dealer you will find that the sales to gigging/studio musicians of TOTL arrangers is miniscule, whereas home uses lap them up as fast as they can make them.
In truth as I said previously, arrangers are designed solely for home users, however gigging/studio musicians are now finding they are also great for live/studio work, and so in the future this may change, but at present the home user is King.
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#145474 - 08/27/07 03:57 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
cgiles Offline

I'll tell you what's amazing. What's amazing is how much energy, thought, and time goes into figuring out new and cleverer ways to regurgitate the same tired arguments over and over again, ad naseum. I think that we know by now that:

1. my keyboard is better than yours (that's why I chose it, dummy).

2. 76 keys is better than 61, except for midgets or those with very short arms.

3. Heavy keyboards are better than plastic, toy, crappy, lighter ones (if you're a 21 yr. old weightlifter in training) but light ones are better if you're an out-of-shape old geezer who hasn't yet given up cigarettes.

4. A laptop on stage will solve all of your problems, including your musical shortcomings.

5. Playing an arranger, using SMF's or mp3's, is cheating, EXCEPT under the following 183 conditions...........

4. Whatever gets the job done, baby...

5. "That (tune you just posted) was very good, you've got a nice voice" .....code for "YOU SUCK".

6. If we complain enough on this board, the manufacturers will listen to us (or possibly even hire us as "consultants").

7. Home users are a bunch of low-life losers whose opinions are worthless. Only us working "pro's" have the "RIGHT" answer for everyone.

8. We need to practice more and post less (Physician, heal thyself).

9. Droping the chord sequencer (which the overwhelming majority of G1000 users never used anyway) was the single biggest mistake and worst corporate decision Roland has ever made.

10. The important thing is to keep your (drunken) audience entertained (except in the nursing home where everyone is deaf anyway).

11. Chicken Hats are a GOOD thing....

12. Civility is better than common sense.

12. Enjoy whatever you play (but mine is still better than yours).

Feel free to add to this list of things we probably don't need to do another 100 post thread on.

BTW, I wonder if the new T3 will have 76 keys. Probably. Nah. Maybe. We could sign a petition (from the PRO users of Synthzone) and send it to Yamaha. That should do it.

chas

#145475 - 08/27/07 04:09 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

The Tyros2, PSR, G70, E-80, and Korg PA series are all marketed as home keyboards(which they are), in my area.(Eastern Canada)

Ketron products are conspicuously absent.

Staff at the stores tell me that arrangers (all brands) are seldom purchased by pros(although the number is increasing) and the majority of buyers intend the instrument for home use.

I am told that most new arranger owners already have good playing skills, and are people who are interested in or fascinated with new technology.

Average buyer age is around 45-60.

The majority want instruments with built in speakers, and, strangely enough, many either purchase an add on speaker system, or seek instructions on adding the instrument to their home entertainment system.

A good number of pro buyers are singer/guitar players, with some keyboard skills, who are looking for a SMF playback instrument on which they can also do some recording.

Pro keyboardists in bands/duos in my area tend to buy the higher end Roland RD-series as well as the Yamaha CP series...essentially digital pianos with expanded soundsets and SMF players.

Sales of 76 note arrangers are VERY low...home users wanting more than 61 keys tend to purchase the Clavinova CVP or Roland KR series and seem to desire the full 88 note range as opposed to 76.

Just some observations from my neck of the woods.

Ian

#145476 - 08/27/07 06:03 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Wouldn't you agree the test was slightly biased towards the Roland?

You used a Roland style in the Yamaha, which did not allow the T2 to showcase it's Mega voices.

Why wasn't a Yamaha style used in both instruments?

It is amazing, however, to see how close these instruments compare.

Thanks for sharing.

Ian

Ian, I did my best not to have any bias toward either keyboard.

The G70 converted style(Club Bossa) for the Tyros2 actually was preferred over the native T2 Slow Bossa when compared. So even though the Club Bossa converted did not use megavoices.

No, I didn't use converted Yamaha styles on the G70, I don't care for the way they sound played thru the G70.

#145477 - 08/27/07 06:06 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
abacus Offline

Hi Ian
Pretty much the same in the UK, although 88 notes are not quite so critical, however one thing that is very popular are a set of Bass Pedals, so that you can play your own Bass lines and still trigger chords or play counter melodies.

Bill

#145478 - 08/27/07 06:12 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

Im glad people arent buying arrangers ....less is more in this game

#145479 - 08/27/07 06:17 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
zuki Offline

Very amusing Chas.......

#145480 - 08/27/07 06:21 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Nick G Offline

Quote:
I'll tell you what's amazing. What's amazing is how much energy, thought, and time goes into figuring out new and cleverer ways to regurgitate the same tired arguments over and over again, ad naseum. I think that we know by now that:

3. Heavy keyboards are better than plastic, toy, crappy, lighter ones (if you're a 21 yr. old weightlifter in training) but light ones are better if you're an out-of-shape old geezer who hasn't yet given up cigarettes.

4. A laptop on stage will solve all of your problems, including your musical shortcomings.

5. Playing an arranger, using SMF's or mp3's, is cheating, EXCEPT under the following 183 conditions...........

5. "That (tune you just posted) was very good, you've got a nice voice" .....code for "YOU SUCK".

6. If we complain enough on this board, the manufacturers will listen to us (or possibly even hire us as "consultants").

7. Home users are a bunch of low-life losers whose opinions are worthless. Only us working "pro's" have the "RIGHT" answer for everyone.

9. Droping the chord sequencer (which the overwhelming majority of G1000 users never used anyway) was the single biggest mistake and worst corporate decision Roland has ever made.

10. The important thing is to keep your (drunken) audience entertained (except in the nursing home where everyone is deaf anyway).

Feel free to add to this list of things we probably don't need to do another 100 post thread on.

BTW, I wonder if the new T3 will have 76 keys. Probably. Nah. Maybe. We could sign a petition (from the PRO users of Synthzone) and send it to Yamaha. That should do it.

chas

I would love to meet this guy in real life!!

heres one to add to the list -
Donny is the KING

and another:
Rolan make the most durable keyboards - high quality construction, will last a lifetime - but I will sell it in 2 years when the new replacment comes out

another another:
This is a GENERAL ARRANGER FORUM - which means, we talk about social issues, conflicts, who is gigging on thanks giving or independance day, who is receiving fan mail (Squeak), what keyboards Uncle Dave loves, those who complain about..., oh yeah and arranger keyboards...

Nick from down under.

#145481 - 08/27/07 06:25 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

Yep thats what we do......everything
EXCEPT posting DEMOS....weird eh?

#145482 - 08/27/07 07:05 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:
I would love to meet this guy in real life!!

Nick from down under.

Nick, you'd be SOOOOO disappointed.....but, if you're ever in the vicinity of Atlanta, GA, USA, feel free to drop in for a chat and a glass of wine. I obviously have too much time on my hands.

chas

#145483 - 08/27/07 01:59 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Diki Offline

Quote:

chas

ROFLMAO... well said chas!

Now, of course, having nixed ALL the above topics, would YOU care to start some threads on topics NOT on the list?

I try to do my bit from time to time (threads about as yet unseen features that players would LIKE to see, posts about how to get BrandX to talk to BrandZ through MIDI, a little organ chat from time to time, etc.) but they quickly drop off the main page. Seems it is only the discussions that boil down to 'I know I am, but what are YOU?' schoolyard wordplay that ever gets much in the way of any interest.

But it often seems that most of the people that CLAIM to want to read less antagonistic threads are the ones least likely to START ONE...

That's the beauty of an open forum. If you don't like where the topics are going, start some about what YOU want to talk about. Then if the members are REALLY fed up of the above topics, they can stop posting on those threads and join in on yours. But if they don't.... well, you've got to admit that basically it's not a very articulate or interested crowd in here.

Taike is one of the members that posts the most about subjects NOT on 'The List', although, admittedly, most of what he posts are quotes and articles by OTHERS (I prefer to hear and post our OWN thoughts, here, rather than simple straight quotes and then a 'what do YOU think', but maybe that's just me), but at least they are about something OTHER than 'The List'.

But, again, they never garner the responses of the 'my arranger, right or wrong' threads.

So be it. At least I have Roland-arranger.com, where we can just get down to basics, helping each other out... In the meantime, I guess I need to brush up on my Emoticon communication skills, English seemingly unnecessary at SZ for the deeper forms of discourse!

(Tiny bubbles, tiny minds...)

#145484 - 08/27/07 02:03 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

#145485 - 08/27/07 02:20 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
(Tiny bubbles, tiny minds...)

That's so true Diki...keep those bubbles coming, buddy.

Ian

#145486 - 08/27/07 02:23 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

Phooooey !

#145487 - 08/27/07 02:36 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Phooooey !

You look great in green, Donny, but I think the chicken hat gives you a certain rakishness that's hard to ignore.

Ian

Ian

#145488 - 08/27/07 02:42 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian, from day one..Roland has marketed the G series as a Pro keyboard, and not a home buyer keyboard...starting with the G800..

You can go back and look at any publication Roland produced ..

#145489 - 08/27/07 03:06 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
pianodano Offline

Well, Yamaha did (in the beginning) market Tyros as a "professional instrument".

Yamahas' flagship.

One of their own people told me that and convinced me beyond a shadow of a doubt that it had every advanced feature that Yamaha had ever developed. Way beyond the PSR9000 he glowingly stated, as I recall. In fact I immediately ordered one based on the conversation. I waited several months at least for it to be released. Once it hit the market the proverbial stuff soon hit the fan. Anyone else remember some of the problems? Wasn't very long before they raised their sights a little lower and it did seem to become the premier home instrument. And that thing was soon history.

[This message has been edited by pianodano (edited 08-27-2007).]

#145490 - 08/27/07 03:27 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
abacus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Ian, from day one..Roland has marketed the G series as a Pro keyboard, and not a home buyer keyboard...starting with the G800..

You can go back and look at any publication Roland produced ..

Hi Fran
You are probably right in the US, but in pretty much the rest of the world the G series (Like all arrangers) was marketed to the home user.
Thinking back, if I remember correctly, you did mention in a post some time ago that the G70 was first launched and marketed by the Pro division, but sales were that poor (Apparently the demonstrators didnt know what to do with it) that they eventually passed it over to the ordinary division.
Whichever way, from what I remember, the G70 sales took off as soon as they stopped trying to market it as a pro instrument.
I am not sure about the last couple of points (Memory has a habit of distorting things) but the first part is correct.
Regards

Bill

#145491 - 08/27/07 03:46 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Fran,

My Roland buddy tells me the G70 and G1000 were sold in the home section of the music store along with digital pianos and arrangers...didn't sell well when it was promoted as a "pro" instrument.

Sales overall for both instruments in my area were very low in comparison to the high end PSR and Tyros1/Tyros2.

Perhaps the area where you live had a different experience, but that's how it was here in Eastern Canada.

Ian

#145492 - 08/27/07 05:13 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Nick G Offline

the only place u see a Roland G70 here is in shops that sell PSRs and other portable arranger keyboards.

although there is a band store "the guitar factory" which sells all sorts of pro band equipment including Synths (where I purchased my Motif XS) that also stocks Tyros 2s - the only arranger in the entire shop.

Nick

#145493 - 08/28/07 01:13 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Diki Offline

Strangely enough, Yamaha (the ones supposedly selling exclusively to the home user) are the ones that allow the same dealer to stock Motifs AND Tyros's, whereas Roland (apparently the supposed 'pro' keyboard) restricted the sales of the G and E series to Mom and Pop piano and organ dealers, where understandably, they languished in sales compared to the G1000s, etc., that were marketed through regular music dealers...

Roland have made a major marketing blunder since the G70 first came out, firstly, of putting these complex and expensive arrangers exclusively in the hands of a type of dealer that a) usually has NO technically minded staff, and b) is really only interested in selling pianos, with their huge profit margins and commissions to the salesmen.

They THEN compounded this blunder by giving these piano dealers (they mostly handle KR and Atelier Roland products) complete regional exclusivity, and forbidding ANY internet sales, or advertising outside their area. And then to really put the coup de grace on their chances, they did not insist that these stores even stock the product....!

If you can think of a better way to sabotage any product's chances of success, you let me know... (other than rushing it into production before the OS is ready! But that isn't exactly a Roland exclusive, these days )

Only recently have the G70's been demoted/promoted (depends on your viewpoint!) to the regular MI Roland dealers, where they CAN share shelf space with Fantoms, etc.. Not that many dealers still do... (mind you, that problem isn't exactly just a Roland thing ). But that is why you DO see a few more G70s out there, these days. The MI dealers (Guitar Center outsourced quite a few, if I remember rightly) immediately dropped the price nearly a grand (and I don't believe the dealer price changed) and FINALLY put the G70 at a price point that was FAR more reflective of it's capabilities, and way more competitive. And the fact that many have moved to one since those price drops (initially, street price US was @$3500, now they can be found for @$2700), just shows what a boneheaded marketing decision they initially made...

But I still find it strange that T2s and PSRs can be found in 'pro' dealers, whereas E80's can not... Where's the logic in this, if you subscribe to the theory that Yamaha are focussed exclusively on the 'home' user, and Roland are going for the 'pros'?

#145494 - 08/28/07 01:54 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Biggest problem for arranger sales, in my opinion, is lack of staff ability to properly demo.

In my territory, which is all Atlantic Canada, and covers 26 stores, I can think of only 5 staff members who can truly demo an arranger and answer followup questions.

Of course, this keeps my job secure, but I can't be everywhere at once, especially now with being on disability, and there's only so much I can do on-line.

In their defence, a salesperson's biggest problem is the myriad of OS...each manufacture being a little(or a lot) different, so they have a daunting task ahead of them, especially if they are selling other products( guitars, amps, effects, PA gear) which often happens in the smaller stores.

Many keyboard salespeople are piano players or keyboardists(synths etc) and using auto accompaniment is foreign to them, because either they can't keep their left hand still, or they can't form or voice chords properly for the instrument to respond properly.

Transient staff make it even more difficult.

Although sales in my area are good...they could always be better.

Ian

#145495 - 08/28/07 03:30 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Diki Offline

To be honest, Ian, I think the majority of keyboard staff in most stores other than major cities have as little clue about the intricacies of any of the major workstations, as they do arrangers...

And, short of an already knowledgeable arranger user, you don't really have to do much to impress most potential buyers than call up a few good styles and lead sounds, hold the chords down and play a nice melody, hit the fills, and a big ending, and the sale is made...! I honestly think for most store duffers, this is easier than trying to explain arpeggio mode in a Motif!

If they can't do this simple musical task, they probably can't demo a workstation any good, either. The trouble is, who does a store hire? The nerd who might actually be able to remember all the differences between OSs, or a salesman who has the skills to close the sale (but not the skills to demo the arranger)...? Both are just about as bad.

It is, just for the life of me, I can't understand why demoing a MotifXS is any easier than demoing an arranger...

#145496 - 08/28/07 03:52 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
It is, just for the life of me, I can't understand why demoing a MotifXS is any easier than demoing an arranger...

It's okay, buddy, you may catch on sooner or later...it's not important.

Ian

#145497 - 08/28/07 04:06 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Nick G Offline

when i wanted to buy my motif XS and even my Tyros 2 or PSR 3k for that matter, i had to pretty much work it all out myself. whenever i am buying a keyboard i usually spend about 2 weeks going back into the store nearly every second day exploring the keyboard in the shop.

People that work in most shops these days are just sales people. most of them dont get training at all...

#145498 - 08/28/07 09:46 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
keysvocalssax Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles: I'll tell you what's amazing. What's amazing is how much energy, thought, and time goes into figuring out new and cleverer ways to regurgitate the same tired arguments over and over again, ad naseum. I think that we know by now that points 1-13)chas
you got my vote here Chas for MAYBE BEST POST EVER... however, i would like to submit my reply here for consideration as well: SOLUTION TO 61/76 CONTROVERSY: why don't we stop fighting, just compromise and split the difference, guys?????????? let's see..a 15 key differential split in half means we add 7.5 keys, making it a new arranger kb standard: 68.5 keys!!!!!! BRILLIANT! er, ooops..1/2 a key won't work. so we have to decide on 68 or 69 keys. I think everyone should chime in here on which they think is better..each has its advantages and disadvantages, of course..I have always been partial to 69, because it implies equal pleasure at both ends of the keyboard...but of course more conservative-minded players would favor the 68 (which is a bit lighter as well, and might fit more easily in Uncle Dave's case). ANYONE? (don't forget to duck)

------------------
Miami Mo

#145499 - 08/29/07 04:06 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Great post, Mo....very clever.

Ian

#145500 - 08/29/07 08:37 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
keysvocalssax Offline

Ian, nice of you to say so. btw, because i prefer 69 am i being fooled into thinking bigger and heavier is better? Mo

#145501 - 08/29/07 12:15 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
This post is for your info only but only if interested
I went to Colton Music in San Jose not because they are a piano and organ store, but because they sold the technics Digital pianos and keyboards from the time they came out. I have bought several Technics from them over the years.
I was looking for a KN2600 to keep in the motorhome permantly. I had sold mine as part of a group of three and should have kept it.
they only had one keyboard in the store and it was a Roland G 70. I already knew quite a bit about this keyboard from friends that bought it and returned it and from you forum members. I was sure I didn't want one but thought i would show off my chops to all the piano player/salespeople there
The problem was that nobody knew how to turn it on to play and I didn't either. they also didn't know how to play it. They were mostly concert pianists that could sell a piano.
They said wait a minute there was somebody there that could show us.
They went to the office and drug back this big fellow named Travis. He said he could demo it and told me he was the Western Sales Manager for Roland. I told him I had no interest at all that I just stopped looking for a left over or traded in Tehcnics. He started playing it anyway, and I started listening to it anyway
WOW. 2 hours later he told me that the E 80 was the next step up from the G 70 he was playing, Rolands current flagship and was like a G 70 on Steroids. This store didn't have an E 80 but Travis said he would ship me his Demo with lots of extra stuff in it and cut me a real deal. SO I bought me a Roland E 80. Yup it weights 55 pounds empty but my wife is young and strong and women don't get hernias
It rides on the queen bed in the back of the motorhome and doesn't get hurt there.
I have had it a couple few months now and decided to keep it.
I will also note that I played profesional piano for many many years, including a 6 night a week gig in a hotel lounge piano bar. I used to play 88 keys like Jerry whatshisname.
I got a 61 key keyboard in the early 70's and it took me about 3 years before I could play it, constantly breaking fingernails on the wood above and below the 61 keys. I have played 61 keys every since and now days don't even use all of them I may go to 49 next.
Anyway this has been an interesting thread and I give a lot of credit to the real intelectuals that posted here plus the real musicians, and to those that are both
You really make my day, every day,
SO.........I salute you all and thank you for sharing your wisdom, your attitude, and your concepts.
Best regards to everyone in this thread.
Keep on Keeping on.
Bebop

#145502 - 08/29/07 12:40 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
.........I salute you all and thank you for sharing your wisdom, your attitude, and your concepts.
Best regards to everyone in this thread.

Why thank you Bill...

#145503 - 08/29/07 04:37 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
but my wife is young and strong and women don't get hernias
Bebop

Yeh, but they sure know how to give them

Great story.

zuki

#145504 - 08/31/07 09:19 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight

So right, ZUKI!

R.

#145505 - 08/31/07 09:35 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
[QUOTE]
I have always
been partial to 69, because it implies equal pleasure at both ends of the keyboard...

Funny, funny stuff !

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online