SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15 >
Topic Options
#145357 - 08/21/07 09:14 PM those who complain about keyboard weight
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Squeak,

Like Squeak said...he didn't want to hijack the Tyros 2 posting and neither did I.

He's not wrong with this thing about those who are allergic to too much keyboard "weight." I'll use the word myself......they are "whiners!" The music is about entertaining an audience and not about sending a keyboard to Weight Watchers so you can haul it around town without a tow truck! If you have to put it on wheels and add a gear box to it and DRIVE it to the gig, well then that's what you have to do.

His recollections of the gig's from H__l brought back a flood of my own memories. At my peak, I was gigging (party events) carrying a total of 18 cases by myself. And that was before Rock 'n Roll carts arrived on the scene to help move everything! Most of these cases were full size. I was playing three keyboards MIDI'd together. Then you had the whole sound system (two big speakers, head, microphone cases), the odds & ends case, the processor rack, the USS stand setup right and left, etc. My best time for setup was 50 minutes. But you know what? I didn't mind it because the sound I got was incredible and I loved making people happy, listening and dancing to good music. The setting up/tearing down routine was secondary...the audience came first.

Someone on a gig said it all. I was tired one night as I was packing up and mentioned it to one of the waitresses. She replied: "Would you rather be driving a taxi cab in NYC?" Ever since she said that, I remind myself of that remark when I start feeling "my equipment is too heavy!"

Yes, the Tyros probably IS too heavy if you're used to gigging with a harmonica. Those of us who played through those years get a big laugh out of the "weight" freaks. The new technology did fantastic things with the music, but unfortunately it also made a lot of "wimps" and "whiners!"

Please.....only those who went through what we did back in those days are allowed to flame this letter. The rest of you need to pay your dues first!

#145358 - 08/21/07 10:18 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Beakybird Offline

I hear you Mark! Look, it could be worse, we could be drummers here - or tuba players.

On the other hand, look at it this way. Why inconvenience yourself when you don't have to?

Another thing is this: I want to be doing this gigging into my retirement age. I can see packing up a keyboard like a PSR-S900 and two JBL Eon10 G2's when I'm 65. I cannot see packing up a Fender Rhodes and a PA system when I am that age. Add to the equation that I am 140lbs - albeit very healthy, but no Adonis.

I think that the Tyros 2 is a very reasonable weight, but when you're doing 500 + gigs, the PSR-S900 might be a better choice - especially if you are setting up monitors every time.

I think that if you are doing fewer - higher paying gigs - like this fellow on SZ I was talking to who is very busy doing 2hr. children shows at $600 a pop, if I were in his shoes, I would definitely get two Tyros' instead of two PSR-S900s.

Beakybird

#145359 - 08/21/07 10:56 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Makes me wonder why Arnold kept pumpin' weights his whole life. it certainly didn't make him any weaker.

Granted that I no longer gig but when I did I had to lug an organ. I helped the drummer with his gear and he helped me carry the organ. The guitar and bass player always complained about having a sore back. Go figure.

So, if you think a keyboard is too heavy for you, don't buy it. Get a lighter one. I just don't understand why it's necessary to make it an issue for no amount of complaining is going to change anything.

As for myself, I only care what I get in voices and styles. Weight is the least of my worries.

Taike

#145360 - 08/22/07 04:33 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
I helped the drummer with his gear and he helped me carry the organ. The guitar and bass player always complained about having a sore back. Go figure.

Taike

Uncanny. I worked with that very same drummer and guitarist .

chas

#145361 - 08/22/07 05:39 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
It's not so much the weight, but the design and weight combined that causes the complaints, IMO. I have a keyboard amp that weighs more than my G70, but because it's almost square it's much easier to lift and carry. My Mackie 808s is heavy and I cringe every time I have to carry it; why, because it only has one handle.
I don't have any experience with the T2, but it does seem deep and maybe a little bulky. Maybe that is the reason for the complaints. ???
As for complaints in general - these are the boards we are working with, so we complain about and praise them - big deal! When I was younger and stronger I sent back a PC88 because of its weight but today I gladly haul around my G70 - go figure.

We bitch because we can - get over it.

#145362 - 08/22/07 06:21 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Quote: Mark79100
He's not wrong with this thing about those who are allergic to too much keyboard "weight." I'll use the word myself......they are "whiners!" The music is about entertaining an audience and not about sending a keyboard to Weight Watchers so you can haul it around town without a tow truck! If you have to put it on wheels and add a gear box to it and DRIVE it to the gig, well then that's what you have to do.

Please.....only those who went through what we did back in those days are allowed to flame this letter. The rest of you need to pay your dues first!
------------------------------
Top marks for your selfish, uncaring & insulting attitude Mark
I DID go through it in those days - I also carried an organ about on a regular basis, gigging at pubs & clubs. I also live in a very hilly area with lots of gradients & steps to cope with so a cart would be of no use. I was however, extremely fit, having worked out with weights most of my life together with running, cycling & swimming.

I'm now 67 and despite loving my keyboard & music just as much as I ever did, I suffer from Sciatica & Arthritis. As a result, the weight of a keyboard is a VERY important consideration to me.
Im not a whiner - just a guy who still loves to play and likes to entertain the oldies (for no fee) at a sheltered housing complex - would you prefer I pack it in and not be allowed to have my views, just to keep you happy.

What's wrong with some of the SZ contributors (like you) who think everyone should hold the same views as you. We are all entitled to our own preferences, whether it be a keyboard weighing X pounds or less, or from whichever manufacturer we favour, and to state our views on the Forum just as you do.
Grow up, and be thankful for your good health - it might deteriorate to the level of your thinking processes.
Unlike you, I won't stipulate who's allowed to answer my posting too - I believe in free speech.

#145363 - 08/22/07 06:50 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'm surprised at your narrow-mindedness, Mark, and, just to let you know that I've paid my dues...I used a B3 with two Leslies for many years with the addition of Rhodes, and several polysynths.

As far as I can tell, nobody has been whining about weight...we all want lighter gear, unless we are masochistic...every one has just been expressing their cares and concerns about it.

The "flamer" in this thread is YOU...calling people names like "whiner" is not a sign of maturity in my opinion.

You talk like you're a road warrior...why not act like one?

Ian

#145364 - 08/22/07 08:53 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Uncanny. I worked with that very same drummer and guitarist .

chas

Small world, isn't it, Chas?

#145365 - 08/22/07 11:02 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I played a Hammond with an external Leslie for years. Here in Michigan during the winter months you'd have to go outside and hook up the trailer, drive to the job, sometimes shovel the walk yourself so you can roll the organ in on the dolly, then hoist it on the stage, go out and get the Leslie and do it all over again. At the end of the job reverse everything except maybe the shoveling. It was sooo much work you never brought your equipment into the house. You left it outside in the trailer from 0 to 90 degrees.

Now if the keyboard is 50 pounds so what? I'm not counting those of you with health problems.

My friend just got a pair of Peavey PR series speakers with a 15' speaker and a horn. They weigh less than 20 pounds a piece and they sound great. He also got a Yamaha head that is 350 watts a side and it weighs about 8 pounds. I do really like lighter but I'm not going to complain about 50 pounds or less.

Tom

Tom

#145366 - 08/22/07 11:48 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Been moving an MS-60 with speakers and internal amps (40 plus lbs, I think) to 5 plus jobs a week for years. I too played a B-3 and Rhodes (still do 3-4 jobs a month), but mostly for house jobs-6 nights. I often thought I should have gotten at least one SM-50
(same instrument without speakers and amps) for some of the jobs.

Now, I'm about to use a G-70 and SH-201 on most jobs, with some adding an XB-2 and GW-7.

It's a little harder (an age thing) but still well worth it, in my opinion. Of course, it helps to have a son who plays bass in the group and set up equipment for a OMB 2nd job in one day. He's young and strong, and feels sorry for the old man.

"Gramps" Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 08-22-2007).]

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online